Any opinions on Hurricane deck boats?

bear_69cuda

Commander
Hello,

Looking for opinions on Hurricane deck boats!

I currently have the boat listed below on my signature line. I spent last winter revamping the entire boat, and I do love it. Being our first boat we didn't entirely realize what our needs, and wants were until after spending a lot of time on the water this summer. We quickly realized we needed more storage, a better seating layout for guests, and possibly a small head with porta potty. Things that I wanted were more speed, 3.0 is good but I would like to see 50 mph+. Another issue I have is the desire to get into shallow water while fishing. Many of the lake chains I fish, have stump fields and rocks close to the surface, and the I/O can't be trimmed up like an outboard so I was also thinking about my next boat with an outboard. The Hurricane 211 FDGS with OB only takes 14" of draft.

So if any Hurricane owners out their would like to share their experience with me, I would greatly appreciate it!

How do deck boats handle in chop or rough water? It looks like the hull is a modified V or almost a tri-hull configuration?

This link is the boat I'm interested in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0381153052&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Any opinions on Hurricane deck boats?

great boat, 21 will be a little crowded, but he 4 stroke yammy is great, 17,000 is where i would go on a repo, and todays market. center console to me is a big plus.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool Boat. Have a buddy with one and they love it. Great multipurpose boat. Repo would normally concern me but it looks like its in great condition. Don't see a lot of the Hurricane center consoles around. Good luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is the 1st center console deck boat i have seen.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

that is the 1st center console deck boat i have seen.

Me too. What an awesome layout! That is a serious cruising AND fishing machine. They say all boats are compromises. That one practically isn't.

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you said deck boats, i was thinking you meant a pontoon boat.. which i despise!

This boat is fantastic.. get it surveyed and snap it up if it's in good shape!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Yeah,

This boat seriously rocks! It's like a pontoon boat on steroids!

Do you think 6-8 on board would be tight for space?

Anyone know how it handles in rough water? I hear tri-hull boats can be a tad bumpy in chop...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like it could handle 8 easy. That front lounge area is huge. It has a sharp V in the front which looks good for wave chopping however it still comes to a pretty shallow V in the back which would indicate a possible rough ride to me. However you wanted a shallow draft stump jumper!

Adamf24

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah,

This boat seriously rocks! It's like a pontoon boat on steroids!

Do you think 6-8 on board would be tight for space?

Anyone know how it handles in rough water? I hear tri-hull boats can be a tad bumpy in chop...

I have a Hurricane SunDeck 237 OutBoard. No complaints, boat has been solid since I've owned it.

But it's very rough in choppy waters. You definitely won't stay dry on bad days too as the boat pretty much belly flops into waves instead of cutting into them.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own a Hurricane Sundeck 260 with twin Yamahas. I absolutely love it and can't think of owning anything else in the near future. The Hurricanes are really great all around boats. I constantly have guests with me and their layouts are very roomy. The important thing is that although you may feel squeezed if you take a lot of people out at least the boat is rated for a lot of passengers which leaves the decision making to you where as long as you have he PDF's and are within the rated capacity you are fine. As far as handling the chop I personally don't have any real issues, but I guess my boat being 26' and pretty heavy helps also but will agree with the poster above that being dry is not something you can count on. You will get sprayed often. The last thing I will say is that going 50MPH++ may be a little ambitious on your part, I thing mid 40's is more like it, but then again this is an area that where the size of my boat is a detriment. The poster with the Sundeck 230 above may be able to give you a better indication of that. All in all I thing you would be happy if you decided to go with a Hurricane. The model you have your eyes set on will allow you to do a little bit of everything, you will be very happy, I have even seen that model with a t-top and looks beautiful. Search enough and I'm sure you would find a pic. Good luck and let me know if there is anything else that you would like to know.

bear_69cuda

Commander

All,

Thanks very much for your time and opinions on the Hurricane. I'll keep you posted with my search...

I only said 50+ mph due to the test run on the e-bay link I posted. The dude that tested the 211 with a 225 hp Yammy said the boat topped out at 56 mph during the video. So I was just the relay bout that. But still 225 on a 21' deck boat seems like it would fly? Anyone have this set-up to verify, or the performance specs with less hp, say 150 or 200 outboard?

Thanks again everyone!

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I have a smaller Hurricane (195) with a more traditional layout. I really like it, but I am a lake boater and gotta say, it'll knock your fillings out in any real chop. It has a fairly shallow deadrise and you pegged it right on the trihull bow.

The good parts about the hull design, my boat is rated for 10 passengers and seats 8 very comfortably, mostly due to the big stable front. I also absolutely love the big swim-like platform on the bow with the boarding ladder. Lastly the fairly flat hull makes it perform pretty well without a lot of power. I get about 42 with a 140, I imagine mid 50's is quite doable with a 225 on the 211; but only on flat water. Anything over 1 foot chop and I'm pretty much at half speed.

For the most part the boat is pretty well put together, I have no issues with the quality or workmanship. Its a 2006 and has never been in the shop except for PM.

One thing about the one you are looking at - it looks like the skeg has been repaired and the prop looks new, might want to check out the lower unit for damage. Other than that it looks great and I like the center console.

Good luck.

deronw

Cadet

Hello there,

I just bought a 2001 Hurricane Sundeck 217 last week. So far, I've had it on the water twice, and I really love it!

The boat has a very solid feel to it, though I haven't used it in rough waters yet. My configuration is with a Yamaha 150 outboard and it's plenty of power...gets about 40 to 45 mph and planes really easily around 20 mph.

The thing I like most about it is the layout...lot of room for passengers, as well as ample storage room. For my needs, I didn't care about having a cabin.

I noticed the boat you're looking at on eBay is a 2005 Fundeck gs211. In case you're not aware, Godfrey Marine is currently having a special on BRAND NEW Fundeck GS211 boats for just $19,999. At only a few thousand more than what is offered on eBay, I'd opt for that.

Good luck and have fun.

Deron

bear_69cuda

Commander

Wow $20k for a new one? I've seen 2009 211 GS's starting at $42-50k with a 225 hp... I have a call in to the local dealer to confirm...

bear_69cuda

Commander

Just found out the special $20k price is on the FDGS 201 not the 211. A 211 is $45k with 200 hp, and no trailer! :eek: I think I'll stay looking at used boats....

deronw

Cadet

Oops, sorry about the bad information. I thought it was on the 211, but it was the 201. But then again, for half the price, maybe I'd consider losing the additional foot of length.

Anyway, good luck on your search...I think you'll be pleased with Hurricane boats.

Regards,

Deron

shoegoo183

Cadet
Re: Any opinions on Hurricane sun deck boats?

Re: Any opinions on Hurricane sun deck boats?

I'm thinking of buying a 2006 sundeck 217 used.I heard that the older models the hull design didn't handle too well in the water hard to turn rough ride when coppy on lake,also could this boat also be put on the bay area. The later models i heard were better design doe anyone know what year I should be looking at for when they changed there design or it's just all hype. This boat comes with a honda 150 4 stroke instead of the yamaha 150 any big difference between the 2 outboards. Would i be able to jet ski with kids or tubing with this outboard is it hard to plane.