best prop for a 16 foot glastron with a 120hp

estes

Recruit
I have a 16 foot glastron with a 120 force outboard. I was wanting to know what is the best prop for the boat. I want to ski and wakeboard? I am new to boating. I am also going to put a tower on the boat.

rndn

Commander
Re: best prop for a 16 foot glastron with a 120hp

Unless someone on here has the exact same setup, you'll need to provide some baseline information. What are the rpm's and speed at WOT(wide open throttle)? What year is your outboard? What prop do you have on the boat right now?

divimon2000

Seaman

Exactly right, you need to know where the RPM's are at now with the prop. If you're near max with 2 people, thats close. If not, repitch lower. My guess is you'll be near 13 x 19P but that varies considerably with prop types and brand.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

My 15 foot Glastron with a Force 90 swings a 13 X 19 or a 13 X 21 prop. The 19 turns at 5000 and 43 MPH, the 21 turns at 4500 and again 43 MPH. These are GPS verified speeds. While both are within the recommended rpm range, the 21 pitch is at the very bottom of the range and would not normally be the first choice.

So, While it is not exactly the same, with the greater torque of your 120 on a larger boat, I would start with the 19 pitch. If you want to primarily ski and wakeboard, and two props are not a money issue, get a 17 pitch and a 19 pitch.

HOWEVER: If you already have a prop on it then FIRST get a tachometer so you know your current rpm. Without knowing current RPM, anything stated above is an educated guess. Just as in taking a trip, you can't get where you are going unless you know from where you are starting.

BTW: It would be nice to know the year of the Glaston and Force, and the type hull (deep vee or tri-hull). Mercury built Force engines after 1994 run differently than earlier engines. My comments are directed at the pre 94 engines and deep vee hulls.