Trim sender?

emilime75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is a tilt/trim sender available for a 77 Merc 1150 (115hp)? I have searched and cannot find one, or info if it is even available. I'd love to install a trim gauge on my boat.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Trim sender?

Is a tilt/trim sender available for a 77 Merc 1150 (115hp)? I have searched and cannot find one, or info if it is even available. I'd love to install a trim gauge on my boat.

There was no factory option for a trim gauge. If you can find a midsection from a newer inline merc, it will have a trim gauge set up or a place for one. The mid sections are interchangeable.

emilime75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Dave for the reply. Could you elaborate on that a bit more...as in what constitues "newer" when looking for a mid section with trim sender provisions? What years would have what I am looking for and interchange with my 77 115hp?

How much work is involved in swapping a midsection?

daveswaves

Ensign

Thanks Dave for the reply. Could you elaborate on that a bit more...as in what constitues "newer" when looking for a mid section with trim sender provisions? What years would have what I am looking for and interchange with my 77 115hp?

How much work is involved in swapping a midsection?

You are looking for a midsection with integrated trim and tilt, 1986 or so and up will have it, Mercury or mariner, inline 6. As far as swapping you would basically move the power head and the lower end over to your new midsection. Power head is 8 studs with bolts. It is possible to remove the power head with all the brackets, lower cowling etc in place. You do not have to strip the engine. Its heavy for one person, I use an engine hoist. Lower end is an easy swap, same as changing the water pump.