Welch Plug - 88 Force 85HP

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm in the process of reassembling my carbs and got to the welch plug. My manual (oem service manual) says to install the welch plug and tap it in the center so that it spreads and is held in place then use nail polish to seal. Issue is that the new welch plug (in the repair kit) is much thicker steel than what was originally in there and when I try to tap the center to spread it, she doesn't want to budge. Am I ok with just sealing it with nail polish or is theree anything else I need to do to seal the welch plug in because I don't think tapping it will work.
Thanks in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Welch Plug - 88 Force 85HP

You need to put the carb in a jig then using a centerpunch hit the plug in the center.Then use sealer.It's softer than you think.I thought I'd ruin mine the first time too.J

john from md

Commander

Just for future reference, you don't remove welch plugs for routine field overhaul. You can spray carb cleaner through the ports to clean them out.

That said, you need to be careful in installing them. The carb has to be supported properly so that you do not damage it when you bang on the new plug. Support it in a vice and have blocks of wood or metal directily under the area where the plug is.

Position the plug and give it a good rap using a 1/8 inch drift pin and at least a 16oz hammer. You do not want to gently tap the plug as it will work harden and not spread out. A couple of firm raps will set it.

To seal it, I use a product in a yellow tube bought at marine stores. I forget the name but it specifically says fuel resistant, and it is. It is a clear liquid that can be used as a contact cement or sealer. I have sealed numerous fuel tanks, carb plugs and gaskets with it and it does not breakdown from fuel contact.

Years ago, nail polish was made from a different formula than that today. I would not trust it to seal anything that is operated in the environment that these carbs are in.

John

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, got it done. Drilled out the old plug. Put the carb in a vice with paper towels so as to not damage it then put a piece of wood under the part of the carb where the plug is, put the new welch plug in and taped it a few times with a center punch and hammer and it seems to have worked well - tight and doesnt' want to come out. I did use my daughters pink nail polish to seal it though as that was all i had at the time. Next time will opt for the yellow tube stuff.
Thanks