Is my boat big enough?

teamnull

Cadet
I bought a 1988 marathon 21' cuddy cabin over the winter and was wondering if it was going to big enough to handle the open chesapeake bay. i was looking at putting in at sandy point park and point lookout the most. i am new to this size of boat (i have a 16' jon boat) and would be putting in anywere i can for decent fishing on the entire bay. thanks for the help!!:

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is my boat big enough?

You should be fine in a 21' if you have decent boat experience. In an '88 model, just make sure your hull/transom are sound (no soft spots or rot) and you have safety gear; tow insurance is almsot essential if you don't have a kicker.

My boat is much smaller (15') and I run out of the South River to Thomas Point light and the bridge when the weather forecast cooperates.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The days you can get out comfortably will be numbered in a boat that size, especially down toward Pt. Lookout. Just keep an eye on the weather and if in doubt, don't go out.

Generally speaking, you?ll be OK in winds 10 knots and under unless they there is some south and east in them. A 10 knot wind from the south (most of summer)against an outgoing tide can be brutal.

teamnull

Cadet

okay thanks for that info. is there anywere my boat can go on the bay thats not going to beat me up too bad if the wind is blowing a little? i live in south central pa and the closest point to the bay is the bay bridge. i have 2 kids that love to fish for anything no matter how big or small. thanks for the help!!

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Comfort is subjective and I think everyone has different comfort levels based on their skills and craft, but your safety should be your main concern. We could be talking calm and dry versus suited up in survival gear when it is blowing in the winter. I didn't mind either as long as I could accomplish what I went out for (just cruising, fishing, or work).

I've boated a fair amount in the Bay (grew up on the Southern Bay). A previous boat was a 20' and I can't imagine ever not going out in most 21's no matter the conditions. My wife and kids are fair weather boaters (don't like to worry about bouncing or spray in the face) and I don't go with them if the forecast is for 15 mph winds or above.

You'll have to start with fair weather and draw from your experience where your tolerance level is.

I've been caught in a storm in 30+' waves in the Gulfstream sailing from VA to FL and I comfortably say I will NEVER go offshore again.

I've always been comfortable in the bay.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

To put things into perspective, small craft warnings go into effect at 20 kts.

aspeck

Staff member

again thanks for all the very good info.

Your boat will NEVER be big enough! :eek: You had a 16 and had to move up to a 21. After while it will be a 24. Then ... :p:D;)