He asked me WHAT?!?

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
I'm about to dock the boat at the ramp after another great morning of fishing, and I see a family launch a nice brand new Cobia. Looked like it had never been in the water. Notice a young fella at the helm, probably 15 or so. Thought he was a bit young to drive a boat like that, but who am I to judge? Looked like he had a few of his friends on there too.

After I dock the boat and bring the truck around to the ramp, I'm about to put the boat on the trailer. This guy walks down the ramp, and wants to ask me a question. He proceeds to tell me that while he was at the gas station he pumped $20 worth of gas into a ROD HOLDER, and that gas spilled all over and out the back of his boat. His question was "do you think that is dangerous"? My first question for him was "did you crank your engine"? Meanwhile, the young guy has the engine running, so I guess that answers that! :eek:

He tells me that he thinks that the gas drained out. I told him he better check his bildge. I had to show him the bildge access, and guess what was in there! He askes me what he should do. I told him that if he drained that gas out at the ramp that he could be fined big time, plus it is just horrible for the environment. I couldn't stick around any longer (had a 4 hour drive home plus had to deal with cleaning and storing my own boat), so I gave him my 5 gallon bucket, and advised that at a minimum he put the boat back on the trailer and drain the gas in the bildge before going out.

So that one tops everything in my book for stupid human tricks. Bet this guy knows where his gas tank is now. I just hope he can figure out the rest of what he needs to know about boating soon before he does some real damage!

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: He asked me WHAT?!?

Can some one fill me in on how someone would do this? Not having a fishing boat, and not having rod holders, i dont understand how someone would mistake them for the fuel filler. Do they have something covering them that looks like a gas cap?

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can some one fill me in on how someone would do this? Not having a fishing boat, and not having rod holders, i dont understand how someone would mistake them for the fuel filler. Do they have something covering them that looks like a gas cap?
Happens every day. If not the rod holder than the fresh water tank or the sewage tank.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, just a case of being in a hurry at the gas station?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

A rod holder is easily mistaken for a filler cap
s7_012728_imageset_01

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

My question would be what king of dealer would sell him a boat and not go over every thing with him and show him where every thing is and what its used for. If this guy doesn't know where his fuel goes in how would he know what all the controls are for.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I could MAYBE understand the fresh water port, even though any that I have seen say WATER. And then again, most fuel necks say GAS.
But come on, the rod holder? Oh boy, do I not want him anywhere near where I am at.:eek:
I'm almost surprised he did'nt show up at the ramp with the gas line from the pump still dragging behind the boat. Just hope he remembered to put the cap back on:D

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Too funny, love it! :)

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I could MAYBE understand the fresh water port, even though any that I have seen say WATER. And then again, most fuel necks say GAS.
But come on, the rod holder? Oh boy, do I not want him anywhere near where I am at.:eek:
I'm almost surprised he did'nt show up at the ramp with the gas line from the pump still dragging behind the boat. Just hope he remembered to put the cap back on:D

I was thinking the same thing. Even if i am fishing equipment/rod holder challenged. I have been filling up some kind of fuel tank for at least 30 yrs. I would assume his boats fuel tank says GAS on it like mine does, unless he had someone that was not familiar with a boat in charge of filling it up. Scary

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I used to jerk gas at a couple marinas when i was a kid. Most of the owners didn't know one filler neck from another, and I won't even go into how many times gas was pumped into a diesel tank or vice versa. It's mostly being in a big goofy hurry and not paying enough attention to what's really going on.:(

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I can see how you may mistake it, but it doesnt look like it sits flush on the gunnel, does it?

Actually those types do sit flush, and I could see where it could be mistaken by a novice or someone new to the boat...

Based on what you said about his age, I would suspect it was his daddy's boat, and he was taking it out for the first time solo...

But yeah, a bilge full of raw gas... thats big time trouble waiting to happen... he's super lucky he didnt go out with it, and hopefully no one smoked! Yeesh, KABOOM

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's One Of The Reasons In Nj Your Not Allowed To Pump Your Own Gas.

otec465

Seaman Apprentice

wow somewhere still has full service gas stations !

Huron Angler

Admiral

I now have less hope for humankind than I did five minutes ago before I read this thread. What a bunch of morons we have tearing around wreaking havoc on our civilization:eek::eek::eek:

I think that even if you are that dumb a flush-mounted poleholder being filled with gas should result in the gas spilling over the side of the gunwale and into the gas station parking lot. Where was the thing located that gas is being dumped into the boat?

I guess there must be a drain on the bottom:confused:

Almost candidates for the darwin awards and probably don't even know it. I just hope the person responsible knows what a calamitous situation he/she almost caused.

reelfishin

Captain

And that means that the non English speaking gas jockey knows anything about boats? I've yet to find a gas attendant that knows where to put the fuel in a boat around here. Most hand off the nozzle and tell you to pump your own.

fishrdan

Admiral

I can see that happening with some of those cheap offshore marine parts... :D

gas.jpg

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

:D And here I thought the government was just insulting the intelligence of anyone who needed to refuel in the state......But, ..... How do they get away with having cheaper fuel AND paying someone to pump it?:(

gonefishie

Commander

He was lucky that boat didn't blow up. Kinda remind me of when I bought my very first car and bought gas for the first time. There were some female distractions, I grabbed the nozzle and tried to put it in the filler. It didn't fit, tried it again, still wouldn't go in. Started to wonder why the stupid thing wouldn't fit and looked around. Low and behold, I grabbed the diesel nozzle instead of gas. Good thing they idiot proofed the nozzles or I woulda ruined the car I just bought.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ahh, but at least you were trying to put it in the right place:D.
Besides, distractions of the female kind don't count:p.