Starting Issues

ATLfisher

Cadet
I have just rebuilt a 1985 50hp Force/US Marine outboard and when I go to turn key over it pops the circuit breaker box by the ignition coils. I can use a jumper and get starter to turn flywheel so I am kind of stumped. I changed the in-line fuse to no avail and that is where I am. I took pictures and have a manual so I am positive about wires being in right place and double checked my grounds. Any suggestions would help at this point. Thanks

john from md

Commander
Re: Starting Issues

I am sure you think you hooked it up correctly but it sure sounds as if you have wired the terminal board with a direct short to ground or you skinned a wire touching ground or pinched a wire touching ground.

It is easy to find as this circuit on has a few wires.

There is always the possibility that your switch just happened to go bad after you did all of this rebuilding but my 40+ years of maintenance experience says not likely. :D

As far as jumping to the starter, that doesn't mean anything as you bypassed the whole ignition system.

John

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Starting Issues

Sounds like your wiring is off. Double check the wires connected to the rectifier and also on the starter solenoid.