Cant get more than 3K RPMs

philgonterman

Recruit
So I am new to this board and to boating in general. Bought a 71 chrysler with a 105 hp on it. I am a V8 kinda guy and this darn 2 stroke has me rubbing a bald spot! Rebuilt the transom (beefed her up) while we were in there, and took her out for the first time Sunday. At first was little stuff to work out but then came my big issue. Seemed like the motor was "choking" and couldn't get more than 2K outta her. Dad then pulls the cover and pull starts her (needs new bendix) and idled great. I give her a little more juice and its cool around 1500. But then after getting into it i cant get more than 3K rpms and its spewing/fogging fuel out of the top carb. Question is this, I dont know when it was run last and he thinks it could be reed valve problem, what do you guys think. Do they even make reed valves for it anymore (1971) or could it just be a carb problem? If I sink anymore money into this the wife will be pissed! Help me out here guys.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Cant get more than 3K RPMs

It could be the reed valves depending on exactly where the fuel was spewing out from. Was it coming directly out of the throat of the carb or out of a weep hole in the side of the carb? If out of the throat, then yes maybe reed valves. If weep hole, then bad needle valve or float level too high.

The folks over at franzmarine.com should be able to help you out. Give'em a call.

john from md

Commander
Re: Cant get more than 3K RPMs

Spitting fuel out the carb is an indication of reed valve problems to be sure.

You want to send a PM to Frank Acampora. He knows the old Chrysler engines better than most. He can also direct you to another forum for Chrysler folks as well as tell you if and where parts are available.

John