timing cover for 3.0???

jwolfie001

Cadet
Hi all,

You guys have not let me down so far so I am returning for more guidance. I recently have had to add lots of oil after a day of boating. As I searched for the source of the leak, I noticed that oil would "puddle" in the bilge right under the harmonic balancer. Immediatley I start to expect the oil pan, timing seal or timing cover gasket. So off I go to obtain an engine hoist ($125 on CL including an engine stand), the needed gaskets and was even lucky enough to pick up a new impact to make the the job go quicker. Ah, all is well in life. Until . . .I pull the balancer only to find most of the bolts holding the timing cover on are almost rusted away. No sweat years ago i bought a bolt out set in case I would ever need it. Get all of the bolts out to discover that the timing cover has holes around the sides. So now I ask, where is the best deal on a timing cover? The local "Stealer" offered one for over $250, and I have found one on ebasicpower.com for about $120. It is my understanding that this engine was very common and that I should be able to use a cover for one of its relatives such as the 250 inline six or the 2.5 liter pontiac engine. C'mon fellas, you've been lights out so far. Don't disappoint. Thanks

futz

Banned
Re: timing cover for 3.0???

got my cover with a new seal at kodiak customs nj painted it 4 times. 35 bucks.

just tell them a 2.5 chevy II ordered it in the morning was at my front door the next day at 5pm.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

could try a local junk yard but that motor hasent been in a car since 64.
inline 6 will fit though

jwolfie001

Cadet

Hey Futz, what is Kodiak Customs? I couldn't find a website. Thanks.

mac123

Recruit
Re: timing cover for 120 hp mercruiser engine?

Hi all,
I have the same problem with my 120 4cyl mercruiser engine. Oil in bilge and timing cover the culprit. This is a gm engine from what I can find out. I'm new here and looking for directions as to where I can get a cheap cover or if one from a some other motorized machine would fit . Priced one oneline for 240 dollars US. My boat isn't worth much more than that!!
Appreciate any help.
mac123

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

EDIT: Misread as valve cover.. edited for timing cover (link to timing cover instead of valve cover)

Wow guys, I find it tough to believe ebay wouldn't have a few for cheaper than that. Back when I needed an interrupt switch for my 3.0L I found a valve cover, shift assembly and switch all for $15. Surely a timing cover can't be much more.

EDIT: Three second search later pulled up this on ebay ($50 Buy-it-now price):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercruiser-OMC-GM-120-140-165-timing-cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem4a8e5d5992QQitemZ320216062354QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100

Also, sharing your location would allow people who live close to recommend local shops to find one.

futz

Banned

They moved about 2 years ago can't find a current website, however the old number is on google.

futz

Banned

he needs a timing gear cover and a oil pan. I can't seem to find anyone who sells a auto one. gave up. there is a guy sells used parts i bought from before on ebay cheapboatpartswarehouse.com or something like that maybe i mispelled it.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Chevy II 153 cubic inch 1962-65
I6 230 or 250 cubic inch
should use same timing cover.

fishrdan

Admiral

Try your local Chevy/GM dealership, after all, that is a GM engine. Several engines used that timing cover as has been noted so it should be an easy one to get. When I need to order hard parts for my boat (non-marinized stuff) I tell the GM parts guy I need ______ for a 68 Chevy II with a 153 4cyl engine. Water pump pulley cost $20 a few years ago, brand spanking new GM part.

(FYI, you need a special tool to center the timing cover over the crank so the seal is lined up perfectly. I'm cheap and used a roll of electrical tape with enough tape removed so it would slide snugly inside the seal and I think a few wraps on the crank so it's snug there too. After tightening the timing cover, pry out the tape roll and remove the tape off the crank. Worked a couple times for me, no leaky seal.)

Good luck,

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

this guy shows new ones:
http://www.stevensparts.com/TIMING COVER.htm
does this look like the right thing?
RTC250.JPG

jwolfie001

Cadet

lowkee,

I too found them on ebay but not new. The one that was new was $120 which seems high. Just didn't want to put used stuff on to only have to this happen again in two years. Thanks though. Hows the restoration going?

jwolfie001

Cadet

Howard,

Yes those look like what I need. Now, if only they would answer their phone . . .

Thanks. Great find! I searched the net for a couple of hours and didn't find much.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

lowkee,

I too found them on ebay but not new. The one that was new was $120 which seems high. Just didn't want to put used stuff on to only have to this happen again in two years. Thanks though. Hows the restoration going?

For stuff like covers I wouldn't worry too much about used. They normally aren't wear parts so long as they stay painted.

The restore is going really well. I finally mounted the deck in the boat today! I still have to fill in the gaps, but I'll be flipping the hull for painting in the next few days (assuming I don't fold the walls of my garage in lifting that lead brick of a hull!).

mac123

Recruit
Re: timing cover for 120 mercruiser

Re: timing cover for 120 mercruiser

:D
The new timing covers for the 3. looks like the one on my 120. Also the used one looks the same. Now to catch someone home!!!!
Thanks guys for the very quick reply. I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!! Im in east coast Canada, Newfoundland. Someone on this forum asked. I will do up my profile as soon as I get a chance.
Mac123

jwolfie001

Cadet

I found a used one on ebay for $25 today. I am just too cheap to pay for a new one. I am in Kansas City and there is a shop that sells used ones for $100. The shop is US Boatworks and I've heard good things about them. So for you guys who need one they may sell you one and ship it. Hopefully I didn't waste my $25. Thanks to all who offered info.

PS-I tried Kodiak Customs but it said their number is disconnected.

koolminx

Cadet

I think I'm going to buy a 69 18' Reinell tonight with this motor in it. It looks like a chevy luv 2.5 but the block is different. It's got oil in the water... So I'm pulling it to rebuild it if the wife let's me buy it.

Boat is in great condition to me. Unsure about outdrive without motor running...

$600 bucks... Good deal?

Koolminx

g-riehl87

Cadet

this is kind of an old thread but here goes to add my two cents...bought a 97 Stingray dirt cheap - needs to be cleaned, etc but a good buy. Took it out...running out, pulled the cover, it was smoking....oil...not good. Threw anchor, limped back in - timing cover is gone. Didnt check it before I went out. Anyway, got one from epower.com....The local chevy dealer told me no longer available....aftermarket, etc just dont trust it. Got everything off, waiting for the new part. I have read posts about not beating the crank pulley on but then have read others saying its fine. I didnt pull the engine. No need, anyone that says that - not true. Suggestions, thought?