84 Mercruiser 470 raw water

97gtstang

Recruit
I know this may be a stupid question but, this is my first boat. I have tried searching for the answer with no luck.

84 sportcraft 19ft. bowrider w/ 470

Is the water supossed to come out the center of the prop or at the back and bottom of the outdrive.

Thanks for the help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84 Mercruiser 470 raw water

Maybe both ,depending on the exaust boot or tube.The holes on the transom are exaust reliefs,so water does exit there.

97gtstang

Recruit

Thanks for the lightening faast response. :)
I was kinda worried as there is a small amount of water coming out of the prop, but most is coming out the bottom of the outdrive.

This was a free boat, so far I have just had to replace the impeller, tune it up , and replace the prop where i started it in shallow water.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

First boat, free, 470 uh oh:D. Just kidding! There are a couple of things you should check on your 470. They have a few special "issues" that are not common in other Mercruiser engines. First with the engine running check the lower starboard side of the coolant circulating pump on the front of the engine. look for the small weep hole to see if coolant is coming out there. read http://www.sterndrives.com/470information/470coolantleakrepair.htm If it is leaking it will need new cam seals, if not, Don't worry about it, just check now and then. Make sure your coolant level in the reservoir is full to the top, and keep an eye on the level. If your charging system is working that is great, if it stops working, get an alternator conversion kit, rather than trying to repair it. These motors are prone to head gasket problems, so when you get a chance you should do a compression test, paying special attention to cyls 3 & 4 if they are low you may need a head gasket. A cooling system pressure test is also a good idea. Autozone will let you borrow tools for both tests for free. Last thing keep an eye on the engine temperature, don't let it overheat. Come on back with any questions. I like my 470, but they keep you on your toes:D. Have fun.