whats the diffence

mcruea

Seaman
2003 40hp merc. whats the diffence in a rectifier and regulator and what do they look like and located, i think the rec. helps to charge the battery and the reg. down sizes the volts . im trying to figure out which one i need to replace my tach stop working and my volt meter only reads 12v. thanks for anybodys help
mcruea

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: whats the diffence

A rectifier changes AC current to DC current. A regulator stablizes the current comming off of the stator. I would see if there is voltage coming from the stator/ alternator. Probably the rectifier though I have seen more of those go.

saumon

Lieutenant

As said, a rectifier change current from AC to DC and a regulator limit it to aroud 14.4 volt.

This being said, newer outboard, like yours, have combined rectifier/regulator. It's a square 2"x2" sealed box located in the bottom part of the electrical box.

If i remember right, tach is the purple wire...

Did you have you engine serial # ?

mcruea

Seaman

yes its 0t670139, and its a 40elpto. how can you run a test on these to know what to buy,plus how many wires are coming out of the rec./reg
thanks for the input
mcruea

walleye1968

Seaman Apprentice

the regulator has 6 wires 2 red go to starter solenold
2 yellow go to the stator under flywheel
1 black go to ground and 1 gray go to the tach
get a shop manual

saumon

Lieutenant

Mercury marine 883072T @ 143$ or
CDI 1945279 @ 135$ or
Sierra @ 110$

BTW, 12 volts is normal at midrange, you should get 14 volts at WOT with a regulator and something like 16 volts without it.

I strongly agree with "get a manual", at the very least a generic one like Seloc.

mcruea

Seaman

i really want to thank everybody for the help. but if every body gets a manual whats the use for the web site. think about it
mcruea
thanks again for the help