Calling all 1986 mercury 115hp I-6 Experts.Help please!!

Ok ive posted this problem before and i was dead set on thinking it was a fuel problem before it gets to the motor.Well after trying to fix this problem, setting motor on fire and causing a few others problems im back to square one.

Motor 1986 Mercury 115hp I6

Problem!!
Motor bogs downto die sometimes throttling up past 1/4 throttle.It sounds like its flooding itself or starving for fuel.Motor starts fine, idles fine and only does this sometimes (ussually after getting to a fishing spot and sitting for alittle while then powering it back up to move)

Things ive did with no improvement at all.
1.Rebuilt fuel pump twice
2.new fuel lines everywhere from motor back(needed them anyways)
3.Hooked up another tank and bypassed everything on boat besides primer bulb.
4.Changed plugs and fuel filter on motor.
5.Run full can of seafoam through gas.
6.Sprayed seafoam into carbs and let sit overnight.

Somthing i noticed today that its doing but i dont know if its normal.When i squeeze the primer bulb a few times a stream of fuel will squirt out the top carb?!?!?!

ANy help where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.I cant afford to take the carbs to get rebuilt but i think thats my next/only move and i really dont wanna spend money on it becasue i know ill get raped at the local dealers around here.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Calling all 1986 mercury 115hp I-6 Experts.Help please!!

Sorry to hear about all the troubles, 1st do you have a manual? 2nd have you checked to see if all cylinders are firing when it boggs out?

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class

To see if it wants more fuel when it boggs choke it and if it runs ok,it tells you it needs more fuel.

Yes i have the manual and i kinda did a compression test on it.Here is what i did.
Unhooked all plug wires.
removed top plug and hooked up checker
cranked motor a few times untill it read then did other cylinders
2 read 115
2 read 120
2 read 130

Im not sure if thats even the correct way to test but thats how i did it.
WHy would it only do it sometimes if it was the cylinders?

Also ill try it but i do beleive it wants to die out even more when i choke it.Ill double check next time im out but im almost positive it makes it die more

FastBoatZman

Cadet

A few things to check on. I think that rebuilding carbs is a fairly easy thing to do, even for someone who has never done it. First, make sure you have the manual. Then follow the step by step process. At first you will take forever making sure everything is right and then you can do it without thinking about it that much.
Find a site that sells your re-build kit. I found 10 plus sites out there for mine and got a good price on parts and shipping. Note:It is prob. on this site.

The gas squirting into the carb makes me think that the float may not be adjusted to the correct height in the carb bowl. There will be specifics on the correct height of the float from the bowl bottom (or top depending on the author/manual). I feel that if this float is not adjusted properly, then it will not prevent gas from overfilling the bowl, thus, squirting into the carb when the bulb is squeezed. If this is the problem then one carb is getting to much fuel. Pull your plugs and see if they are wet, if they are, check the carb(s) that conincide with those plugs.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check spark on all 6 cylinders as this motor can run on 4 or 5 cylinders, rev up great in neutral,idle good but die and bogg when accelerated. Follow manual on carbs and install NEW needles and seats along with gaskets

Is this the correct carb rebuild kit? They dont say anything about serial numbers and are just listed by HP and year.

Anything else do i need besides these 3 kits?

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=112069&gd_row=70&**********=636435101

Ive takin carbs on 4 wheelers apart quite a few times without problems.I just worried about getting them to sync back up and it running.I just dont want to me in worse shape after i attemp this then i am now.the problem im having is more of a nuisence then anything,i want everything to run RIGHT!!! =) The boat is great right now and i just ran it 20 miles down river last week without a problem.

I just dont wanna be without a boat if ya know what i mean. =)

Faztbullet :
It does idle perfect and acel. perfect when in neutral,never boggs down on muffs or in the water.
How do i check the spark?

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 75hp was bogging/dieing out when throttling up it turned out to be my idle mixture screw. There was one on each of the carbs. The trick was to do it in the water and in gear (not throttled up). I just turned each screw one at a time out untill it ran poorly and then backed it out a bit. it took a bit of trying but it works great now. Look to see if your manual says anything about idle mixture. Mine would only occationally get fussy till I did this mostly in the afternoons when the air was hot.