Exaust in pee hole?

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys, just wondering if when engine is first started, its normal to see some exaust coming out of the telltale before the water starts coming out, or does this indicate that i have an exaust gasket thats blown, thanks for any input its a 1970 merc 9.8

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Exaust in pee hole?

Hi,
You should not see exhaust coming from the tell tale. I would think it would be a gasket.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it only when it is first started? Just a thought but it may be steam or mist. Try catching some of the return water in a cup or bottle and see if it smells like exaust. Bit easier to do than a rebuild (for now).

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey guys i just talked to a merc tech and he said it was fine, the water is clear and everything while engine is runing, its just when first starting up i see a little exaust coming out of the hole before the water, he said that when you initially start it up the exaust travels up the block overflow (where the water comes down the driveshaft housing after cooling the engine) and it comes out the telltale hose before water comes out, does this sound accurate?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

That is possible. Generally the idle relief takes care of that back pressure. I do remember one 9.8 that had restricted idle reliefs from trolling all it's life. I do not remember any problem with the tell tale but it was yrs ago and I am old. That engine would not idle well any more until it was cleaned out.
So if your engine sits low in the water causing a lower air volume in the exhaust housing it could back pressure out the tell tale for a few seconds.