Side console boat leans to right..can it be corrected?

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I'm alone in my little Starcraft aluminum Seafarer 14DLX and sitting at the side console, the boat leans to the right. Once underway it doesn't get any better. I thought that one planing it would strainghten out a bit but it still has quite a bit of lean to it. I was wondering if anything like a hydrofoil or trim tabs would help correct that?

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Side console boat leans to right..can it be corrected?

There are ways you can minimise it. Weight distribution is the key. You can try moving your batteries to the port side, as well as the majority of your gear/coolers etc.

A dole fin won't help at all. In fact it may make such a small boat trecheres to drive. Smart tabs won't help either.

However a powered set of tabs like those made by bennets will take the list away while underway, they will do nothing for just trolling around tho.

Bill

arks

Lieutenant Commander

There are ways you can minimise it. Weight distribution is the key. You can try moving your batteries to the port side, as well as the majority of your gear/coolers etc.

Bill

That's exactly right. My 14 footer had the same problem until I moved things around. Made all the difference in the world.
Also, when I'm running the boat on plane, I usually place my body toward the center of the boat even though it's a side console.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My battery is already on the port side and I've moved the fuel tank over as well. I'm putting my small cooler on port side and it all helps but not enough. I find myself sitting on the left edge of my seat to get a little more centered in the boat but was wonfering if there was more I could do.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

diet.

A 14' tin boat is small to sit on one side. Move your seat over. Your boat is too small for trim tabs, too.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

......but was wonfering if there was more I could do.

Suggestions:
- Store your anchor and spare gas tank on the port (left) side, toward the front.
- Add a bow-mounted trolling motor, and put a BIG battery on the port side.

Might sound funny but those things helped me a LOT.