Thermostat Question?....

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,<br /><br /> After doing much reading on this site I have a question regarding thermostats. Is there a delay between when the engine starts and when water comes out the back? It seems I've read that some people have a delay and righty so.<br /><br /> When I start my engine, there is no delay whatsoever. I start the engine and immediately look at my engine and water is coming forth.<br /><br /> Question: Could my Thermostat be bad but in an "open" condition, thereby rendering it useless, yet cycling water? If so, do I need to replace the gasket when the thermostat is replaced (gaskets for these engines are not exactly easy to come by). Also, will I damage the engine in anyway by running it?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Shane

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Thermostat Question?....

turtle1173<br /><br />Don't know what you have for an engine, but the telltale doesn't indicate thermostat operation. The thermostat only determines when extra flow will pass through the head areas. There is always some flow through the engine (thermostat closed or not). This flow is where the telltale is tapped into. If you have flow instantly, it most likely means the system is in good shape. Just be sure it drains properly before cold winter storage.....<br />If you want to know what your thermostat is doing for you, put a temp gauge in and monitor head temp.<br /><br /> :)

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thermostat Question?....

Thanks, I had no idea :) I have a 1975 55HP Chrysler. <br /><br />Shane