OMC reverse issues

benztech

Recruit
I'm new to boating Please pardon the newbe questions. I was out at the lake this past week end with my uncles boat it is i believe a 18' starcraft with an omc 400? when we would put it revers with not even 1/4 throttle the outdrive come up. When boat is out of water and drive down I can pull on drive and it appears to be locked. Any advice would help.

Re: OMC reverse issues

It could possibly have loose or bare wires in the "shift handle" there are a few screws and some covers that will come off and you should be able to check it, I had the same problem on the Bayliner I just sold.

futz

Banned
Re: OMC reverse issues

with the drive all the way up, look at the little gear that moves the half moon gear. Is there a pastick plug in the middle? If yes screw off the plug, there is a allen screw in the middle , turn the screw 2 turns clockwise, re-stall the plug run the boat, it still coming up the drive when in reverse? if yes repeat the procedure. again turn one more turn and keep repeating it till the drive doesn't come up when in reverse.

That allen screw controls the clutch in the tilt housing. You don't want it too tight ether.