Is my water pump bad?

tigerbake

Cadet
I have an 89 125 force and upon startup it just barely spits out water....should I assume the water pump is bad or what else should I check? Thanks

Ady Wright

Cadet
Re: Is my water pump bad?

i have an 85hp force, mine does the same. nothing for around 20 secs then i have spitting. although i do get a steady stream when i throttle up!

Check the thermostat and make sure it opens. remove it, drop it in water, put a thermometer in there. and double check to see if it opens with the temp stamped on the stat.

if it does then it should be good.

can you hold your hand on the engine block? i can so i am sure that this test would let you know if you have ample cooling. if you turn the engine off then the block gets real hot.

replacing the impellor is easy enough if you want to make sure.

Ady Wright

Cadet

on mine its on the top of the block, and the other chap is dead on, the impellor is so easy to change and cheap its not worth overlooking.

john from md

Commander

If you don't have a tell tale on your engine, you will not get a steady stream of water. The idle relief holes spit water because of the size of the holes. They conduct water and exhaust from the engine at start and idle. After you get up to speed, most of your exhaust and water exit from the snout and prop.

If you want to see the water come out, take the 1/4 pipe thread plug out from on top of the head in front of the theremostat housing..You will see plenty of water come out.

John

Noted1

Recruit

OK I am new to boating. I got a 14ft Bayliner with the 1987 Force 50 hp the boat needs some work. motor is supposed to be good so I wanted to test it I got the hose attachment so I could start it. It started right away. Thats good. :D I do know enough to know there should be some water coming out somewhere in the upper motor. I thought it comes out around exhaust on these motors. but I saw nothing so I shut it down right away. know I'm wondering is it the hose attachment it didnt seal very well I see you talking about water spitting on these motors where does it spit from could something be clogged. My dad used to have a Merc that had a little pea hole and dirt dobbers would clog it sometime. should I investigate changing the impeller on it. should I get it submerged and see how it does then. Sorry so many questions running through my head. I would appreciate any help here

Ray

john from md

Commander

If you don't know when our impeller and fuel pump diaphram were changed last, the prudent thing is to change them. The same goes for the lower oil.

If you are handy, all these jobs are easy. The fuel pump takes about an hour, the oil takes 15 minutes and the impeller will take about two hours. The cost of the diaphram on ebay is $18 with gaskets, the impeller is about $20 or so.

There is a thread in the FAQ at the beginning of the maintenance forums called Waking up a sleeping engine. It is required reading for all new guys.:rolleyes:

Just ask for what you don't know, that's what we're here for. :D

foodfisher

Captain

Welcome Noted1, however, please read the fouth sticky at the top of the page. Edit : Forums page