88' OMC 4.3--Cobra O/D--spitting & sputtering?

fourwinns88

Cadet
I have an 88' Fourwinns 200 horizon w/ 4.3 and Cobra O/D. Here's the problem: this only happens when coming out of neutral into forward/reverse, it spits and sputters(it goes ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh)(sorry for the childish example, just trying to make this easy) until you give it more throttle then it all of a sudden picks up, but even if i back the throttle down to almost neutral in no-wake zone, then accelerate, it doesn't act up. It will only do it if it has been in neutral then go into gear. I have already replaced the ESA. Any ideas?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 88' OMC 4.3--Cobra O/D--spitting & sputtering?

ESA adjusted wrong or sticking..?

o-jay

Cadet

Sounds to me like the ESA is staying engaged until you finally move the linkage past it. Mine did that. You can tell by watching or having somebody watch the ESA actuator and see if it's releasing the ESA switch arm at the same time the miss/sputter clears out. If you haven't already been there, Google Stuart Hastings - he's got a web page on the Cobra that is really helpful. I eventually had to change my lower shift cable (for a different reason) and I went through the whole adjustment procedure - works like a champ.

fourwinns88

Cadet

Thanks for the quick responses. I will try and adjust the switch