Questionable trim tab mounting location

erikgreen

Captain
All -

Over the weekend I managed to get a salvaged set of Bennett tabs from my old boat onto my current one, although there were problems getting them working (ranging from a bad switch on the dash to stripped and sheared off stainless screws).

Here's my question: The guys who helped me put them on positioned them so they're about a half inch above the bottom edge of the transom. Not sure why, they had the directions right there, I guess Bennett doesn't say anything about that explicitly, although it is that way in their pictures.

I didn't want to complain at the guys busting their rear ends late at night to help me get them mounted, plus they were already on, so I decided to try 'em out. They worked okay, until the power unit tipped over and all the ATF fluid ran over the deck. Gonna clean the boat out today. :\

So I'm guessing that mounting them a bit high just reduces the effect they can have? The same as it would be if the cylinders had a little less travel?

I'm gonna put the power unit on a bracket this week so it stays upright and full.

Erik

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questionable trim tab mounting location

The instructions actually say to use a 1/4" step which is how mine are installed. Doubt 1/2" is going to hurt anything. I rarely if ever use more than 1/2 tab travel anyhow.