best battery to use

I own a 16' sylvan deep V with a 50 horse mercury outboard. I need a new starter battery to crank or start my engine. I also rely on the starter battery to power my bilge pump, livewell and navigation lights. I use a deep cycle battery to run my trolling motor. Hybrids, dual-purpose, starter, deep cycle... this is all very confusing to me. What's the best kind of battery to use in my situation? Thanks for your input.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: best battery to use

for a 50HP motor, I would go with a Dual purpose.

differences
Starter Batteries: Like to dump a lot of power really fast and be immediately re-charged. great for starting motors.
Pro's. Great amperage output.
Con's. Really hates to have any long term power drain

Deep cycle: Likes to let out power slowly.
Pro's. Can handle long term use and a Deeper drain (i.e. down to 12v not 0v)
Con's Really hate to give up a lot of power

Dual Purpose/Hybrids. Little of both. can dump the power to start smaller motors, but can handle deeper drains. some say they are built stronger, but don't know that for a fact.

I would actually put in your Dual purpose, and then move your nav lights and accessories to your Trolling motor...
Reason... if you trolling motor dies 10 minutes early, no worries, go home. If your boat does not start... lots of worries, go home hours later...

With a fifty, you may be able to pull start it, so it may not be as big of a deal.