Cylinder pressure problem with a Gamefisher 9.9

vipereater

Recruit
My 9.9 Gamefisher model number 225581994. I have owned the motor for 2 years and I have no history on it. Run maybe 8 times over that 2 year period.

Moments before I had checked the water circulation by hand and it was warm and feel it was a sufficient amount. I was motoring along at half throttle for about 5 minutes, then all in 20 seconds had power loss and then a very loud screech, I stopped the motor immediately as was towed to the trailer. The screech sounded like something was caught between the piston and cylinder wall. The next morning I pulled compression and it was not good. The top cylinder is 30 and pressure drops off and the bottom cylinder is 50 and pressure holds. Pulled down to the boat ramp to see if it would start. It did start and runs about 5 seconds then dies and the motor sounds okay but I realize the motor has big problems. I have nothing to lose but to play with it. What is suggested to try 1st, 2nd and 3rd? Are remanufactured engine assemblies available? What engine will interchange with my 9.9? 15 hp? Force? Is there a cash for clunkers program for outboard motors? :)

vipereater

Recruit
Re: Advice needed Gamefisher 9.9

Re: Advice needed Gamefisher 9.9

Amazingly I am already posting a reply as an update.

I torqued the head bolts using the existing head gasket to 120 in/lbs. and now the compression is as follows:
The top cylinder is 75 and pressure drops off slowly (slower than before)
The bottom cylinder is 75 and pressure holds
Yea!!!

What else can I try? I might spray some OMC to loosen the rings.

vipereater

Recruit
Re: Problem with a Gamefisher 9.9

Re: Problem with a Gamefisher 9.9

New update.
I did a decarb per the instructions shown in the sticky.
Next I am going to replace the impeller.
My cylinder pressure is now as follows:
top cylinder is 30 and holds steady.
bottom cylinder is 80 and holds steady.
It starts on the first pull but I have power lose after 3-4 minutes at full throttle.
The cylinder head appears to have been hot at one time because the paint looks crusty, not like the rest of the motor.
How simple is it to change the head gasket?
I will likely check the head for cracks.