omc cobra....cant win for losin!

88stratos

Cadet
Whats goin on? So just got my boat back after it bein in the shop for almost two months for not going into to gear. now it wont run over 3800 rpm and it stutters and backfires and if you try to give more throttle will stop running. just had carb rebuilt,new plugs,wires,lower unit service,new fuel pump,timing set and more......got any ideas on what it could be? I was told it could be the E.S.A? but i dont know much about those. The really weird thing is it will act crazy by backfiring sputtering and then just clear up and run smooth until you touch the throttle...all the while only goin 10mph also any ideas on what size prop is supposed to be on there..it has a 13x19 now....thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: omc cobra....cant win for losin!

It could be a number of things. I would take it back to the shop that did all the work.

88stratos

Cadet

I dont really want to take it back to them since it took 2 months to fix last time when first told it would take a few days. I would like to successfully take my family out once this yr before it is over.......but i was told it could be that e.s.a. and it was common for my boat

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would call the shop and tell them it is not running right and see if they cn get you in now. If not and you want to tackle it yourself, there is a section in the Adults only section at the top of the frum of not reaching WOT. Follow that and do all the tests dont stop when you find one thing it could e one or more of them. good luck to you.

88stratos

Cadet

okay thanks i will try that i really dont wanna mess with that shop again.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

With that service experience I would vote with my feet and spend my dollars elsewhere.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

Whats goin on? So just got my boat back after it bein in the shop for almost two months for not going into to gear. now it wont run over 3800 rpm and it stutters and backfires and if you try to give more throttle will stop running. just had carb rebuilt,new plugs,wires,lower unit service,new fuel pump,timing set and more......got any ideas on what it could be? I was told it could be the E.S.A? but i dont know much about those. The really weird thing is it will act crazy by backfiring sputtering and then just clear up and run smooth until you touch the throttle...all the while only goin 10mph also any ideas on what size prop is supposed to be on there..it has a 13x19 now....thanks

try disconnecting the esa out on the water and see if it clears up.u may have to shut dwn the engine to shift out of gear with it unhooked.could very well be the problem.the esa shorts out some cylinders to provide easier shifting coming OUT of gear.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If they replaced the lower shift cable it may very well be the ESA.
Not many shops know how to adjust the shift cable on a Cobra.
It has to be done exactly by the OMC service manual.Unless they have an older mechanic who is very familiar with Cobras they may have caused the problem.

88stratos

Cadet

88 4.3 V6 OMC as for what kind of cobra........Not sure what the difference is in them i beleive its called "cant get right"....seriously though im not sure on that ? So any suggestions on prop? Im gonna try to take it out this weekend and disconnect that e.s.a and see what it does

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Im gonna try to take it out this weekend and disconnect that e.s.a and see what it does

and if that makes it run better. Park it.

You will need to adjust the shift cable properly or you can trash your lower unit rather quickly.

If it used to run properly with the 19P prop, do not change it.

tpl71bug

Cadet

just wondering how you made out my 89 omc 5.0 is doing about same thing. It will run fine in nuetral and even under load but spudders at WOT about 3800 rpm like yours. it sometimes will stall out but start right back up. Ive also been reading up on ESA thats my next try .Seems alot of people have this same problem with OMCs :mad:

88stratos

Cadet

did not get a chance to take it due to the weather but hopefully this weekend. So then if the e.s.a disconnected makes it run better...is that all i need to replace? as for the prop i dont know if it did run good or not..hasnt since ive had it,but it was broke down when i bought it so i found out . And to the guy with the 5.0 omc i will post back on here what happens and if you find out first please do the same! thanks

tpl71bug

Cadet

Well had boat out this weekend and when it started cutting out on me i unpluged the esa. It stalld out on me once more but i could smell fuel in exhaust ,so i think there is also a small fuel problem . but after unpluging esa it did run much better . i would just shut down the motor before pulling it out of gear . i plan on ordering a new esa for next year . i m only gonna make it to lake maybe twice for the rest of the year , i live in pa its a short season .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The "unplugging the ESA" test is really to determine if the ESA switches are properly adjusted. I really doubt you need a new ESA.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the ESA is making it miss or skip then it is likely doing what it designed to do. Sounds like the whole shift system needs a proper adjustment. The shift system is extremely touchey on OMC Cobra, but when it's right it works.

tpl71bug

Cadet

Ok guys thanks for your input.But i think next year im going to switch to the electronic ignition which does require a new esa or a mod to the old one from what ive researched. The esa was doing its job because i only tryed once to get it out of gear and when it didnt go i didnt force it ,just shut down engine .I ve heard the shop by the lake works on omc s alot so i plan on taking to them to make sure every thing is adjusted correctly. Again thanks for the info and i hope this will help some other people out also!!