pulling a tube behind pontoon

hettman

Cadet
Just bought a 21 foot fishing barge, has 50 hp mercury on it. Kids want to tube now will this pull a tube? I know it won't it be fast but can it pull a tube? will it hurt the engine and can you hook the rope to the lifting eyes on the back of the pontoons? Was hoping to wait til next year so I could by a jet ski to pull tube, kids just anxious now to tube only 10 years old.

Thank you for any input...

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: pulling a tube behind pontoon

You'll have no problem pulling the tube. You can attach the rope to the pontoons and of course make sure it doesn't get in the prop.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Someone else on here suggested I order one of these, which I did -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FECD2Y/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

It looks like a great product and sells for less than $15, but the "hooks" used to attach to the back of the tubes is too small, so I need to buy a couple of extra hooks or something that I have not yet done...

I don't know what a good tubing speed is - I have a 21' Party Barge with a 50 hp Merc, and Sun night took it out with my two young daughters, ages 12 and 5, and max speed (GPS) was 20 mph going downstream, 17 heading up stream. If we had a few more people in the boat and were pulling a tube, it would obviously be far less than that...

Good luck!
Dwight

mcruea

Seaman

I Have That Product And It Pulls The Tube Real Well. I Have A 20ft With A 40hp And It Pulls My 9 And 10 Yr Old Girls Fast Enough ,but No Slingshot Action, So My 16 Yr Old Dont Like It , But It Pulls Good Enough For Them
Mcruea

whozleft

Cadet

They make a harness like the one shown that also has a float on it. The float really helps keep the line away from the prop on the toon.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm pretty sure the one I bought (pictured) has a float?

mcruea

Seaman

Yes Mine Floats, When Its In The Water

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes Mine Floats, When Its In The Water

So are the clips large enough to attach to your pontoon or did you have to use something additional? The clips that come included are too small to attach to my boat...

Toonah

Cadet

This one works great for me too behind 24' toon

lowell7963

Seaman Apprentice

I know it is a pontoon and the speeds are minimal, but by switching to the center pull, instead of pulling the tube from one side, does the ride in the tube change, better, worse, rougher, smoother.

I always pull from on side of the boat and have been curious what a center pull would be like.

halljj822

Recruit

pull then no problem.
WE are also considering a purchase of at 23'pontoon with a 115 hp motor. Is this enough to pull two tubers (adult) behind, from each side cleat? I know it will not run like my present boat (18' open bow with a 190 hp) but I do not want to regret going any higher after I buy this boat. Oh yes, there will be three-four adults on the boat and two small children (under 50 lbs) at the same time.
Any suggestions or comments? Our very first time considering a pontoon style boat.
thank you.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I ahve owned multiple toons and pulled tubers with all of them. When my klids were really little, my 40 hp did the trick. 15 mph was plenty fast. Newer toons are bigger and heavier with added features. Your speed will depend on how many people on the boat too. Also, where the weaight is distributed. I like to get weight towards the back, or certainly at least, you don't want the nose driving into the water.

A 115 probably will pull two tubes, but don't expect a thrill ride. My 115 will get a tube going about 22 to 24 mph. You don't turn like a speed boat either.

My suggestion? If you really love to tube and want to have fun....buy a used jetski. That way the toon can stay a floating barge, and the ski can do all the work. We have owned a toon and a jetski/waverunner together since 1999. Its a great combo. Plus, you get another fun toy to ride.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also, there are a few other tricks you can do that will help. Be sure to buy a tube with less drag. The new style falt ones work MUCH better than the ones the kids can sit down inside. Also, we use one of those ropes that act like a spring. It will allow the pontoon to snap the tube around a lot better.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

WE are also considering a purchase of at 23'pontoon with a 115 hp motor. Is this enough to pull two tubers (adult) behind, from each side cleat? I know it will not run like my present boat (18' open bow with a 190 hp) but I do not want to regret going any higher after I buy this boat. Oh yes, there will be three-four adults on the boat and two small children (under 50 lbs) at the same time.
Any suggestions or comments? Our very first time considering a pontoon style boat.
thank you.

Please start a new thread with your questions. This one is close to four years old and you quoted a member who is no longer with us. RIP tashasdaddy.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hook my harness to the eyes on each side of the motor on the transom. isnt that the better place to tow from?

ahicks

Captain

With many years of pulling behind me, I would suggest you consider the possibility of fouling your prop with the rope when backing, even if there's a float on it (and fair to assume it will happen when you least expect it, or worst possible moment!)? The only real way of preventing that is if the rope is in your hand, or being guided by somebody handling the rope somehow. With this in mind, the fact the pontoon lift rings (or wherever your rope is attached) might be a difficult spot to get to while out on the water should be considered, to make access to the rope possible?

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you know how to tow anything you won't get your line in the prop,just slow down and come arond slowly.