'95 Suzuki 85 HP Carb Question

JDK426

Cadet
I was wondering. What is the proper setting for adjusting the carbs as far as rich/lean setting. I know to gently seat the screw,but not sure how many turns. As of right now im running to rich. When i try to lean it down a little i get a chirp. So im having trouble pin pointing which one (carb) it is. Ive tried everything and im pretty sure my rich/lean setting is deffinately my problem. Little bit of excessive smoke and raw gas smell only on idle/and no wake speed. And tends to want to bog down a little bit at lower rpms once i goose down on it all the problems seem to fix and it runs fine. So any imput would be appreciated.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '95 Suzuki 85 HP Carb Question

Most earlier models of the 85's it calls for 11/2 turns out +-1/4 from lightly seated. But I am not sure about this year. All the carbs should be set relatively close to the same.

JDK426

Cadet

Thanks Waffles. the only thing that has me stumped is at low speeds and idle i smell a raw gas smell. The lines are good and everything. I am wondering perhaps a float maybe stuck? Any other imput would be appreciated. But also if too rich would that put off a gas smell at low idle and speed? thanks, Jerry

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at your carbs when smell the gas and see if they are leaking. Believe it or not, on some models a bad thermostat can cause raw gas to dump out your exhaust. You may see this in the water when you smell the gas. Good Luck.