Stalling at low RPM's

eomlor

Recruit
Hi! I?m new to the site and new to boating but an anxious to learn and get my hands dirty. I just bought a 1993 19? Regal with a 4.3 l Mercuiser with an Alpha One drive (2nd generation). I was told the boat has been sitting for a couple of years. I removed all the gas, replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the carburetor inlet filter. The motor turns over fine but I have to keep the RPM?s up around 1500-2000 to keep it from stalling. I figure it may have been bad gas and tried to run it for about ? hour however it?s still stalling at idle. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. If I need to get a new carburetor what would be a good replacement?

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stalling at low RPM's

Do a compression check, give it a full tune up. See how that helps(needs it anyway). If that doesnt help. Do a carb rebuild. Carb from sitting is probably all gummed up.

cr2k

Captain

Quick check....turn the idle mix adjustment screws in all the way GENTLY do not force them to bottom out (or you will be trying to find new screws). Count the turns. Then open them back and see if there is any difference in the idle. This will give you a quick check on the carb as there may have been some crud in them. If it works better you need a carb overhaul. If it doesn't help you may still need an overhaul.

Other things that go bad sitting...the points get corroded.

eomlor

Recruit

Great, thanks. I probably won't be able to get to this until this weekend but will give it a shot.