needle valve?

kilroy1984

Cadet
i bought a 1961 40hp johnson last week guy said it was runing in test barrel once last year but it had been a while before that i got it home and it started ran for a bit and quit was not getting gas so i replaced diafram in fuel pump found nice hole in old one now when i prime bulb on tank gas comes out the back of carb i have cleaned it 2 times so does it sound like i have a bad needle valve is there a way to look at valve and see if that is it thanks in advance ps is there anywhere i can find a scimatic for this motor

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: needle valve?

Agree the needle valve is not stopping the flow of gas. (I assume you are not using undue pressure on the bulb.)

Could be the valve not seating due to wear or dirt or it could be a defective/sticking float.

Exploded diagrams HERE

If not run for a while, or simply because it's new to you read http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: needle valve?

Those 40hp carbs take a lot of stuff to get off. Especially if you have the generator attachment. sounds like you need a carb kit and that the needle valve is not closing properly.