Does anyone read these?

aaron-l

Recruit
I have put posts on here before but no one has ever responded so I will try this one last time.
I have a 1976 Mercury 850xs
When I rev up to gain rpm's the prop disengages, as in I slowly pick up speed and the boat is starting to plane then it feels like it goes into neutral and the engines just revs up. I have no Idea what this is but I need some advice. If anyone out there knows any one who knows what my problem is, I would appreciate some help.
Thank you to anyone who reads this and might be able to help. I am including my email so you don't have to respond to this post directly.
EDIT

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

whyboats?

Cadet
Re: Does anyone read these?

Is it staying engaged in gear? If so, the prop could be slipping on the hub.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

Isn't your XS a short shaft engine? What kind of boat do you have?
You need to run a prop made to run partially out of the water. When your boat is breaking over on to plane the prop is letting loose of is grip (so to speak) of the water. So you have cavitation and are not going anywhere. You probably need a high rake prop. What kind are you running?
Do you have the engine trimmed all the way in when you try to take off?
Can you post a picture of your engine and transom? (or email me one)

BTW, 40 people read your post before I posted. Maybe they did not know how to help you.

plus people have replied to your posts. http://forums.iboats.com/search.php?searchid=4596514

j_martin

Admiral

Might I suggest that if your title reflected what engine and problem is being brought forth, someone knowledgeable, but busy might take a stab at it.

I usually skip the "whines" because it is usually someone who is too into themselves and lazy to even think about the problem, looking for a majick silver bullet divinized solution.

my 02
John

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

Actually I see "properly" titled threads on this forum all the time and MOST people dont even bother to look.

-either way, the simple answer to what is happening to your set up is that your prop is "loosing grip". Trim is set to far up for a proper launch. Have you had this problem in the past? or just started happening?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You could be looking at several problems. The first is to make sure your prop hub is not bad. First do a visual of the prop hub. Next remove the plug wires and put the engine in gear. Check the prop for slop by trying to turn it. If the prop moves with some force but the shaft doesn't the the hub is shot.
If all is well in the prop hub, check the cavitation plate on the engine. It should be nearly even and level with the bottom of the boat as a starting point. If it's not, raise or lower the engine with either the mounting bolt to engine bracket holes or the engine to transom angle holes.
If all is well with that, then most likely the clutch hub dogs are worn in the lower unit and a lower unit overhaul or replacement is in order.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Quit yer whining, Aaron. Every post has been read by many and answered by some.

Many of us will not bother with whining posts or posts with a title that tells us nothing about the problem.

There is no conspiracy here to ignore problems, but there is just so much time and hundreds of problems. Clear questions get the first priority.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=250877