wont turn over ?

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice
hey guys , i have a 85 johnson 50 hp & went to start it & there was nothing ??? can some one please help me out ? we were out last weekend & it was fine , tryd to start it today & i just got a snaping (electrical type) could this be the solonoid on the starter ?? or the starter ? or both ? i had jumpers on it so i know the batt. was good . thankx for any advice . can you jump the starter like you can in a car ??

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: wont turn over ?

check to make sure the connection at the starter is tight then check to see that you are getting power to the starter--if so then tap on the starter lightly to see if stuck-good luck

buddybarnhill

Seaman Apprentice

a automotive part store should be able to tell you if the solenoid is bad or not...... probably the starter as well

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice

ok i just checked it with a test light , i got power to the solenoid but not after , probably the solenoid ?????

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Whip the starter motor off and bench test it.

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: money pit ?????

Re: money pit ?????

ok thanx to every one for your help , i got it back up & running but now encountered another problem but thankx to the kind people out on the water (lake wabumun , thankx again you guys)i didnt have to row .

so we were out for about a hour & a half 2 hours & everything was great (a little smoky but i think to rich of a mixture ?,85 Johnson 50 hp), started to head in & the motor just quit . i thought it was out of gas but it just quit fast , it didnt sputter of choke out so i changed tanks & it would start but not stay running , it would run for a bit & die it wouldnt run in any gear but neutral & i would rev it up a but & it would die . it almost seemed like the carb would fill up & run on that & it would die cause every time it died i would have to pump the gas ball again . im going to change the plugs & pull the carb off & give it a good clean but if any one can think of something else it might be , any help would be great also is there a fuel filter on this unit ? thanx every one

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Air getting into the system from a bad connection or fuel pump failing. Unhook fuel line on the carb side of the pump and crank it over into a container. If it starts with a few good spurts and dies off then the pump is generally suspect. If it does not pump any fuel at all then the pump needs attention or replacement. If it gives continuous healthy spurts then you have another issue somewhere.

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice

ok guys , im starting to look like a retard . i always hook up muffs befor i go out to make sure everything is up to par (would rather have it not start in the yard than at a packed boat launch) but forgot to take them off so it was overheating . now i put a new solenoid in & it was good , now im back to square one ??? some connections with the test light are bright & some are dull ? i cab bypass the starter with jumper cables from the positive on batt strait to the positive on the starter & bam ! no prob. starts right up but not with the key ? what could be wrong now ???
thank you so very much everyone

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

jonesg

Admiral

ok guys , im starting to look like a retard . i always hook up muffs befor i go out to make sure everything is up to par (would rather have it not start in the yard than at a packed boat launch) but forgot to take them off so it was overheating . now i put a new solenoid in & it was good , now im back to square one ??? some connections with the test light are bright & some are dull ? i cab bypass the starter with jumper cables from the positive on batt strait to the positive on the starter & bam ! no prob. starts right up but not with the key ? what could be wrong now ???
thank you so very much everyone

hahah, so you were out on the lake with the muffs still on the engine?
I've read that one before.

You are bypassing the starter solenoid with the jumper cables and it cranks over fine, what does that tell you.?

When you try with the ignition key you are trying to start it with the solenoid on the starter and it will not crank over?, its obviously dirty or burnt.

Clean all the connections to shiny new metal,
if it still will not start replace solenoid.
If you take the solenoid apart its likely burnt internally. It passes a lot of amps, best not to lean on the key when they don't want to start.

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice

haha ya muffs on in the lake , thanx for the help , i just put a new solenoid in so will trace all wires & buff up connections thanx again .

no wonder people were lookin at me weird on the hiway , with some bent up & broken muffs on hahaha !

buddybarnhill

Seaman Apprentice

i just had the same problem with my boats with it going dead in the water and it will start back up and go dead again its your fuel pump.... get a fuel pump kit 5-10 bucks from iboats and it should fix your problem also make sure when you get gas get premium you want as little ethanol as possible its not good for boats enginegs hope this helps

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just had the same problem with my boats with it going dead in the water and it will start back up and go dead again its your fuel pump.... get a fuel pump kit 5-10 bucks from iboats and it should fix your problem also make sure when you get gas get premium you want as little ethanol as possible its not good for boats enginegs hope this helps

ignore--read post buddybarnhill--will not start at all