Exhaust routing???

Ive got a mercruiser alpha 1, Gen 1. And instead of putting on a new exhaust tube when I replace the seal kit does anyone see a problem with putting a duck valve (one way valve) up in there and not routing the exhaust down through the foot?

45Auto

Commander
Re: Exhaust routing???

If you're going to go to a thru-hull exhaust, don't risk sinking your boat from a malfunctioning valve in the exhaust below the waterline. They make plates that fit over the exhaust outlet and permantly block it off if you're not going to use the exhaust passage in the outdrive.

Here's the ones for Mercruiser's, you should be able to find something similar for other types of drives.

http://www.diversified-marine.biz/v...haust_Block_Off_Plate_Alpha_Bravo_-_861776A_2

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

ditto on that... with the caveat that if you don't want to take the engine out to get the y-pipe out, you can 'temporarily" go to the local Lowes, home depot, etc... and get two 4" pipe caps (rubber) and use them to cap the tops of the y-pipes.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You're talking about a big duck valve with the exhaust still rubbing thru?

The only possible problem (small) is the exhaust being PULLED thru the spinning prop.

Not sure if I was clear enough about my question. What I'm trying to say is leave the y-pipe and let it pass though the gimble where it normally enters the flexible tube to allow for trim movement. Mine ALWAYS pops off there and I want to put a duck valve inbetween the gimble and the upper foot allowing the exhaust to exit there instead of traveling through the foot and out the prop.

Maclin

Admiral

There is a tube made just for that to replace the boot, I would go with that if you do not mind slightly more noise. $30-$40 maybe? Google up "Mercruiser Exhaust Tube". You can also search this board, you will find many comments about it.