And now for something strange...overtemp F40

Franck

Cadet
Hi guys, my first post and I have a curious "problem".

I have a 17ft consoleboat and a F40 Yamaha TLR (11 1/2 * 13 p bog standard prop) from 2006, 150 hrs running time. Nice boat and ditto engine.
Takes some time to get on step, max speed on gps is 55 km hours. WOT is 5100 rpm. Last week the engine gave a temp fault on the digital tach. No buzz, but it went into low rev's. As it was time for a maintenance i took the boat out of the water and ordered repair kit 1 and 3.

I'm no outboard geek, but i was trained a car mechanic and know all about engines and how they work.

I replaces/cleaned the following items:

Impeller kit.
Gaskets.
Motor oil
Oil filter.
Fuel filter.
Plugs.
Lower unit oil.
Carbs.
Fuel filter.

Also, it was time to replace the prop, the original was worn and torn. I went for a 12p 11dia SS 4 blade prop from merc; difference is awesome btw. Kick right on step en WOT is 5600 rpm.

But anyway. After replacing/checking al the standard components the engine still goes into temp alarm !! Basicly this is NOT possible because :

Engine is running fine, no fuel/oil issues. Engine temp is 85C (checked with temp probe) Thermostat is working nicely, you can observe it open and close while running). Waterpressure in block is ok/measured. Thermistor works ok, checked. You can see the thermostat working on pressure gauge, open close/open close. Spark plugs are right color. Engine runs smooth. Took her out in open water this afternoon and the boat and motor handle like a dream.

Sow...the only think I can think is; " why have I still this temp alarm on the tach display ?"

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Franck.

Franck

Cadet
Re: And now for something strange...overtemp F40

Not very much reply :(

I got the service manual for the F40 in today. Checked out the temp alarms. The F40 Has only one temp sensor to the CDI wich is the thermistor. Service manual says that the thermistor should measure :

5C=25K Ohm
20C=10K Ohm
70C=2K Ohm

Hm, my thermistor looks ok, sow this can only mean that the CDI is crooked.

Btw, the service manual is indeed a very handy piece of info for checking your engine !

Regards,

Frank

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you tested and made sure the thermister will turn on the alarm buzzer and cause the motor to go into safe mode by giving it a known temp or ohm reading, then I would look for someting else that would cause the safe mode and test that out also. Oil levels, pressure. flow, and I have heard of low voltage may cause this sometimes. Manuals are a great thing to have . everyone needs to get one when they get the motor, it would save a lot of time and trouble

Franck

Cadet

low voltage tested with oscilloscope, oilpressure ok.
Tested the thermistor today see picture. All in all i have some many testequipment right now, i should start a F40 repair shop ;-)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

did the over temp. and oil pressure bring in the alarm buzzer while testing? How about oil levels? There maybe other things that will do it also.
If the alarm buzzer works on all of the alarm conditions that bring in safe mode I am not sure what else to look at.