What is it?

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer
My buddy Tristan and I had a great day fishing on Hillsdale Lake Saturday. (Caught & released 3 keeper largemouths) <br />Anyway, on our way back to the dock, we passed right by this nest, which was in stump sticking about 6 feet out of the water.<br />If anyone can guess the species, I'll post a pic of it's mama. (sure glad she was "out for lunch" when we met her baby. :D :eek: :cool: <br /><br />
owllet.jpg

ob

Admiral
Re: What is it?

I'll guess it's a Barred Owl chick.

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

Heycods is right on the second guess.<br /><br />ob, I think you are incorrect on the "barred owl"<br />If you meant barn owl, that is also incorrect :(

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

We debated most of the afternoon and evening on what type of chick it was. Tristan's guess was some type of hawk, but I thought it was too big for a hawk hatchling. Notice the fuzzy down feathers all over it's body.

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

The stump is at least 18"-24" in diameter to give you an idea on magnificent this bird is. I would have loved to been around to see her "swoop" in for a perfect landing. Tristan snapped the pic of the adult owl from the boat dock, which is only 40 to 50 feet from the nest. For the first time on the water this year, it sure cured my cabin fever, but I'm afraid I have a chronic case of spring fever now! What a great day!

FLATHEAD

Commander

Funny spot for an owl, on the water. There is a tree down front here that is snapped off about twenty feet up. Yep you guessed it, there is a great horned making it home.