Throttle Cable Adjustment

Cox

Seaman
I've got a 1996 Evinrude 25HP and the throttle cable/arm needs to be adjusted. At the tail end of a fishing trip I noticed that when I turned the throttle, the response was pretty delayed with little or no change until I got closer to WOT....not all the way, but closer..maybe half way. I ordered the repair manual because I needed one anyway and while it does show this procedure, it's not really descriptive. The manual covers a range of motors, one of which is mine, which means that although it is somewhat descriptive it ultimately cuts some corners so that each motor/model can be addressed.

Anyway, I looked at the throttle arm/cable assembly and it's very easy to see what needs to happen. It's a simple adjustment that just needs to be tightened 1 revolution. The problem is that I'm having a hard time accessing the screw to disassemble the linkage. It's almost as if I would have to drop down the lower cowl to really access it correctly but that seems like an awful lot of work for what seems like a relatively easy adjustment to make. I've been avoiding the problem to some degree because I don't spend too much time in idle for trolling purposes b/c I would typically use my electric trolling motor and my Evinrude has still been performing well at higher speeds. This past weekend though it started surging a bit at WOT and while I was looking through old posts here I found one that made mention of the throttle not being set properly...maybe it's going too far past WOT and that's what's causing the surge. I don't know whether or not that'll fix my problem, but it's sure a good start and needs to be done anyway.

Any suggestions on how to access the SINGLE bolt that I need to without dropping the cowl?