prop vibration at low speeds?

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I`ve revently purchased a Q6 tahoe with a 5.0 , boat runs fine and smooth at speeds upwards of 30 knots, but I seem to have a vibration felt thru the steering wheel at 15 to 22 knots or so. When I purchased the boat, the original 19 pitch 4 bladed aluminum prop was a little dinged up which I pointed out to the dealer. He replaced it on the spot with a 21 pitch 4 blade prop he had on hand that looked good. Could the prop be unbalanced or something? Like I said the boat seems fine at higher speeds. Nice and smooth. Please excuse the novicenous of this question as I am new to the boating world. Thanks

hwsiii

Commander
Re: prop vibration at low speeds?

Mad, there an be man different causes, but I would go back to the dealer and ask to borrow another prop to be sure it isn't the prop.

H

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the response. The dealer is five hours away, I was hoping this would be easy to diagnose. I may just purchase a new prop if I can figure out which one to use. I think the prop that came with it is a cheap one. It kinda looked like it was repainted, but no noticable damage. I`m running a Tahoe Q6 with the 5.0 alpha drive 06 model. I haven`t had a chance to plug in all my numbers for the prop guru on this site yet. I was hoping someone with the same model and engined boat would chime in. Thanks

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found the problem. When the dealers assistant changed my prop he must have left it loose. When I pulled on the prop out of the water, it was evedent it was loose. The safety washer was in place with no spin possible. I retorqued the prop and took her on the water. Problem solved. Thanks all.;)