Two-line tank rehab

junkman

Cadet
I have a decent, clean and functional 4 gallon two-line tank that I'm using on my '54 7.5 Fleetwin. It pressurizes fine, but with the initial pumping, a fair amount of fuel leaks around the metal plunger. It drops to about nothing when I'm up and running, but once I'm back home it will slowly leak out if I leave the tank sit without unscrewing the cap to relieve the pressure. How do I go about reconditioning this tank? Thanks in advance.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Two-line tank rehab

laingsoutboards.com sells a rebuild kit for the tanks. One for the metal button ones and one for the plastic button style. make sure to specify which one you need. One thing to be careful of is the washers on the plunger that sandwich the diaphragm. if the one on top of the diaphragm is rusty you need to make sure that one is moved to the bottom (after being cleaned up of course). It's imperative that the area where the washer meets the plunger is perfectly clean and flat. If that area is rusty fuel will leak through the diaphragm and out past the plunger. Once you get it apart you'll see what I mean. Just be mindful of the small parts in there and the relative positions of the springs and whatnot and you'll be fine. The kits come with o-rings for the fuel line connector too.

Cheers.....................Todd