3HP - starts fine then dies.. suggestions? (cont'd) carb cleaned still happening

Mtneer

Cadet
So had the 1963 3HP (JW-18R) out for the first time tonight, had it running in a trashcan and it seemed ok, but not sure if I actually pushed the choke in or if it was out the whole time. (first time I've owned an outboard, lame I know)

Put it on the boat tonight, hoping to do a test run a little fishing in the local river.

The motor starts fine with the magneto on start, then with the choke out I can swing it to fast and it runs fine, choke still out.

When I push the choke in, it sounds like it is going to turn into a champ and take off and then if fizzles, sort of coughs and dies.

I would think, and I'm not mechanic or even really knowledgable, but either it is a carb problem or could the mix be wrong?

Or could it be something else.

Thanks for the help while I wait for my manual to arrive.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 63 3HP - starts fine then dies.. suggestions?

Running fine with the choke out and then dying when pushed in is a classic sign of a contaminated carb. Carb cleaning instructions are in the "Top Secret" file at the top of this forum.
The fuel:eek:il ratio is 24:1 on that motor.

Mtneer

Cadet

Any chance that running seafoam through will improve this or is a rebuild all that is left?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Most likley you are going to rebuild carb. Sea foam will maintain a fuel system, but it will not clean passages and jets in a short period of time.

Mtneer

Cadet
Re: 63 3HP - starts fine then dies.. suggestions? (cont'd) carb cleaned still happeni

Re: 63 3HP - starts fine then dies.. suggestions? (cont'd) carb cleaned still happeni

Lengthy post., apologize in advance...

So I followed the instructions here to clean out the carb. I didn't pull it off completely since it wasn't leaking (just following the site)

So... I had hoped that would fix it as the carb was pretty dirty and had some swollen-looking gaskets/ washers (yeah, not a mechanic) that I replaced.

So, I started it up and it ran OK, then pushed the choke in and it rev'd, maybe a little longer than before then choked out. It will idle higher now with the magneto lever on high and the choke out.

A couple of problems on reassembly maybe someone will have some insight on.

The low speed pin... it has an external adjustment so I'm not completely positive on how to set it up. The instructions I followed were for an older motor, but I'm not sure how the external adjustment affects how it is adjusted when reinstalled.

Also having a really hard time getting the adjustment knob back on. I must have somehow lost a washer or something along the way, but I have no idea how.

I'll attach a pic of what it looks like externally.

I'm 100% sure the problem isn't between the float and the gas tank, would it be safe to assume I need to take the whole carb off and clean it and do a complete change or should I hunt for a different problem.

Also, could the mix be causing this problem. I'm afraid I may have made it to oil heavy. Would this cause this problem as well? I'm going to remix, but the problem I have is the motor says mix 1/3 pint of oil with 1 gallon of gas. This is a motor built in Canada, so should I be using the Canadian gallon or the US gallon since it was built in 1963.

Could it be something in the ignition system, plugs, coil packs?

This old motor has now turned into a mission, thanks for the help in advance.

If this doesn't make sense, just ask for clarification... GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

Thanks

Mtneer

Attachments

• Picture 17.jpg
    Picture 17.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

Mtneer

Cadet

anyone?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That motor has a fixed high speed jet (orifice plug). It is deep in the hole behind the hex drain plug at the bottom of the float bowl. It is partially gummed up or otherwise obstructed. It has to be absolutely, positively, shiny CLEAN. ANY obstruction to the orifice will cause it to run lean and require choking to make it run. The orifice or hole is only .030" and is precision sized for the motor, so too big is just as bad as too small. That means don't be jamming drills and wires and stuff through it.

Mtneer

Cadet

That motor has a fixed high speed jet (orifice plug). It is deep in the hole behind the hex drain plug at the bottom of the float bowl. It is partially gummed up or otherwise obstructed. It has to be absolutely, positively, shiny CLEAN. ANY obstruction to the orifice will cause it to run lean and require choking to make it run. The orifice or hole is only .030" and is precision sized for the motor, so too big is just as bad as too small. That means don't be jamming drills and wires and stuff through it.

So the nut I circled is the fixed high speed jet that needs cleaned out?

What do you clean it out with, just soak it in carb cleaner?

Attachments

• Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0

Mtneer

Cadet
Re: 3HP - starts fine then dies.. suggestions? (cont'd) carb cleaned still happening

I own a '63 3HP ERude. This web site has a wealth of info on them.

http://bit.ly/Fy3cH

Here's the carb page:

http://bit.ly/AMFll

Good luck.

That was the site I referenced above that I am following, it is a good one, lots of info. Just a little incomplete if your carb is dirtier than his was, lol.

So, to clean out that fixed high pressure valve, what do you use, just carb cleaner?