Question about staining

Fox16

Seaman Apprentice
I am restoring a wooden boat. The wood is pine. I wanted to stain it to make it a little darker. Few Questions.

What is a good stain to use? ( I bought minwax)

Also, and this probably depends on the brand of stain, do I need to apply a coat of wood sealer, after staining, but before varnishing?

Here are some pics.
http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt310/fox16/

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: Question about staining

Pine is a surprising wood to use in boat building (to me) as it rots very easily.
Minwax is a very good product for indoor use. Can't say about weather exposed, though I doubt if that makes any difference.
I've always used spar varnish on any wood on my boats. It has held up well but does require maintenance.
I have to guess there are some sealants made specifically for wood boats.
Good luck!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

There is also a pretreatment to use with pine before you stain. Pine is not consistent in how it takes stain. Put that stuff on and it will take the stain evenly.

edit: I just looked at the pics and it sure doesn't look like pine. The knot holes are similar to doug fir. Are you sure that it's pine?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

When staining pine you should seal the lumber before any stain or other top coat. Pine is a very soft wood and due to that it will absorb stain very unevenly.
Minwax is probably as good a stain as you'll get. Just decide if you want the gel or liquid. Keep at least a gallon of mineral spirits and a lot of rags close by.
Remember that your finished results are dependant on your initial steps.
And yes, pictures of the finished job are mandatory !!:D

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to add that I'll bet it's a high grade face (outside) and a fir back.

Fox16

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies Lion Hunter and gcboat. I will definately post finished project pics.

Im stuck right now on whether to stain or not. you are right it is not pine. I believe the plywood is doug fir, but What about the wood on the bow? any idea?

In regards to staining: Should I use oil or water based stain? I wanted to make sure the polyurethane varnish will adhere properly.

The part that is pine, I beleive are the rails, however, those will be painted. I didnt take a good picture of the rails, so it might be hard to see.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Fox on the oil/water based question I would see what the manufacturer says and I would also stick to one manufacturer on all products IE stain and poly vanrnish.

Rick

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with ^^^^ stick with one brand and if there is ever any question about compatibility you can call customer service. I am unsure about the bow wood. The knot holes are pretty indicative of fir as well. Although considered a soft wood when you see the small knot holes in fir that means it was a slow grower, probably harvested from a dry region somewhere in the west. Though not a hard wood they do rival them in durability and longevity when they grow slow like that. Good luck, it's a great looking boat.

Fox16

Seaman Apprentice

Thank for all the advice. I decided not to stain but rather to stick with the natural color of the wood. I will post final pics when finished