Water Pressure Gauge

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Howdy ta all,<br />I want to install a water pressure gauge on my '76 200hp Evilrude but can't figger where are how to tap into the cooling system. Also what should the pressure be.<br /><br />Thanks & c/6<br /><br />hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Pressure Gauge

You simply "T" into the tattle tale hose on those motors. When you get the kit it will have a diagram and complete instructions. It should show about 18 to 20 PSI at 5800 RPM with the standard pump. It's a very simple installation.<br /><br />Good luck!

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

What does a water pressure gauge do, just tell you if your getting good flow to the cooling system? Is it a MUST have? I do have worries about my cooling system getting enough water, it takes a long time to pee.

flips

Petty Officer 2nd Class

purse* snatcher<br />its not a must but it is very handy to keep<br />record of psi i installed one 15 years ago and motor still in good nick it lets you keep a eye on things when you cant watch pee hole i used to change impeller every 2 year but have let motor sit for 5 years and lost about 5 psi on idle using boat more now and it shows me that its time to replace again and the pee hole still seems the same but it does take alittle longer to flow changing this weekend i would recommend one for the little outlay it is good insurance<br />cheers :)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Dhadley:<br />Thanks for tha response pardner but this ole goat ('76) don' gotta a tattle-tale. I'm looking for a place to tap into but I'm not real sure where ta do it. Any ya'll Evilrude wizards gotta clue?<br /><br />Thanks & c/6<br /><br />hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about that Hooty! You're right -- first things first. OK, get the elbow (321886) and we can put it in the exhaust plate or in the block. <br /><br />Look at the outer exhaust cover in the lower starboard corner. If there is a square boss there we can drill and tap that for the elbow. If not (and this may be easier because of space) look at the top of the block above #1 cylinder. It should be flat and easy to get to. Go forward about 1/2 inch from the deck (head gasket) and in the center of the flat area. Drill and tap for the elbow there. You are going into the water jacket so be careful to drill through the outer part of the block only. <br /><br />You can now attach a hose and run it to the pan fitting (321885). Now we have the tell tale and can go back to square one. <br /><br />The reason I like a pressure gauge is because it tells you whats going on now. The overheat warning horn tells you what has already happened. And some blocks (loopers) do take longer to discharge than others (crossflows). <br /><br />Hope that helps. Good luck!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

PS --<br />Make sure you drill into the block -- NOT the HEAD!<br /><br />Good luck!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thanks a load Dhadley.<br />Coupla more questions and I'll be fixed. <br />1. Is 1/2" below the deck far enough and how thick is tha block in that area?<br />2. Is elbow nr.321886 just a brass 3/8npt x 1/8 or 1/16 tubing fitting?<br />3. Is 321885 pan fitting and tattle-tale necessary with pressure gauge?<br /><br />You've been a big help Dhadley and I appreciate ya.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Find the horizontal flat part of the block above #1 cylinder (starboard side and highest cylinder). The deck is where the head gasket meets the block. There is a tab (part of the head gasket) that sticks up. Go 1/2 inch forward of that on that horizontal flat block surface and center your hole there. The top of the block is about 1/4" thich and the water passage below is about 1/4" also.<br /><br />The 90 degree fitting (321886) is plastic. It has the correct outlet ID size and I would not put a brass fitting in an aluminum block. Do use the pan fitting (321885), it also has the correct ID size.<br /><br />Good luck!