Should i take my boat?

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 16 foot Tri Hull. it sits pretty high in the water, has an open bow and is in good shape. Should I take it out to San Pablo Bay? Or is that too ruff for my boat? I have heard of people using 14 footers out there but i have never been myself.

Boatdiver#1

Recruit
Re: Should i take my boat?

I had just posted the question I heard the catamaran hull like the Bayliner Rondivou have problems with nosing down in choppy waters or wakes? Does your boat do that? if so what happens when it does?

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was in suisun bay on a really bad day and If i would go over 10 mph towords the wakes i would take on a tiny but of water. My front end sits preety high though.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

When I was a kid my parents took our 15' tri-hull out into the ocean just out of San Diego Harbor. We once ran into 15 foot swells at the mouth of the harbor during El Ni?o. We never had any trouble when in the harbor itself though. I remember we took on some big waves when the aircraft carriers passed by though. :eek:

I've had my own 18' tri-hull out in 4 foot chop, but never in swells. I can't plane it when the chops a foot or higher because of the pounding on the hull. It sure is slow going when you can't get up on plane because of the wind and waves.

Make sure you have a good bilge pump and PFDs, but I don't think you'll have any trouble in that bay.

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took it out to benicia on 9th street. We had a great time! Had a few big fish on the line but most of the time they snapped the line. My dad did land a 49 inch sturgeon though! Off of some old anchovies that have been sitting in my fridge for a while haha. Whatever my dad hooked into the first time peeled out about 200 yards of line (40lb test) and my dad worked it in a ways then all the sudden he snapped the line. alteast he snapped it fairly close to the end so we didnt have to re string it.

dadsfish.jpg

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I think we have something mixed up here! You're in a 16 foot boat going after 40 pound fish and I'm in a 28' twin engine cabin cruiser going after 40 ounce fish. :confused:

Dang fresh water, I need to find an ocean.

Great catch by the way!

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HAHA yea thanks man! I wish I had a bigger nicer boat but I swear this boat attracts sturgeon.