Any classic/vintage boat collectors/restorers here?

BloodStone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Gang;
Two days ago, I picked up (for a measly $50.00 :cool: ) a 14.5' Aluminum Run-About boat called a "Cherokee". Apparently the year is a 1963 with a 45Hp McColloch "Royal Scott" OB motor (boat has the original McColloch controls). Motor (the previous owner says) was partially rebuilt (it's all together in one piece btw & on the boat). The trailer did not come with it. The boat is in pretty solid shape with no major structural damage just typical neglect. My initial plans were to take the Plexiglas windshield off, cut the aluminum bow hood back 18-24" (for more fishing space-reinforce area-natch!) & modify it into a lean, mean fishing machine. However, what I wanted to know is, does anyone know if this boat is a collector's item or a classic/vintage boat? I don't want to be hacking up a boat that may be worth big bucks. If nobody knows, could someone recommend a site that does or is primarily aimed at this kind of stuff? Thanks!

http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/FrankenFraud/?action=view&current=boatpics3031.jpg
http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/FrankenFraud/?action=view&current=boatpics3029.jpg
http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/FrankenFraud/?action=view&current=boatpics3030.jpg
http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/FrankenFraud/?action=view&current=boatpics3033.jpg

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any classic/vintage boat collectors/restorers here?

What do you consider big bucks? If it's 3-400 then that boat might be worth big bucks. The only boats that are worth a premiun price out there are th old mahogany ones (think chris craft and others like it). That said it would take some good reinforcing to cut the bow out. You would also need to keep the controls forward to be able to use that 45. Unless you are very capable and can make it look original you will lower the value back down to what you paid for it. Bthe way, thats a cool old boat and I would never cut it up.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to ibaots! I'd concur. Not an especially valuable boat in the monetary sense but it sure is a cool old craft. There is a restoration section to the forum where you will meet lots of like minded folks ready to tackle big and little projects.

The previous poster made a very good point about the structural integrity of the thing. The fact that it has a deck means you might have some issues if you remove it.

I suppose you could cut it in such a way as to retain a cross member where the windshield is and if you left a tiny bit of deck on the front -- even just a foot or so to tie the sides together, that would probably be beneficial.

I might ditch the windshield just for kicks (but remove it in such a way that you can re-install it for cooler weather or if you don't like bugs in your teeth boating). Otherwise I'd probably leave her the way she is.

Jeep Man

Commander

Check out my thread in the restoration section titled "What do I do with this" I am in the same boat (no pun intended) and have been sitting on this boat for a few months pondering the same. I'm going forward, making my fishing boat with live well.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Moving the windshield would be a real interesting project, but would ruin the lines of the boat IMO. Keep it as is and refit it to suit you.

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I guess I'm a collector/restorer.....rebuilt everything from model T Fords to antique engines, outboards, machine tools, etc. Finally got the boating bug (again) for the first time since I was 12.....and I'm 60! Boy, have things changed and for the better.

Found a nice old 1959 Skagit 16' with a Johnson 33 hp outboard and trailer and probably paid too much for it but it had a clear title. Currently have the transom ripped out and being replaced. Cosmetic things will wait until next season....right now I just want to get on the water!

roffey

Commander
I think if you started a new thread you will get a better response as this thread is 5 years old and for a different boat, IMO.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
It's kind of a shame to cut up these old guys. But I guess you could feel at least your saving the hull.
I knew a guy I think in the 70s that rebuilt all the wood framing that had rotted away in a boat similar to yours.
If I remember they used bulsa for framing back then.
Go to fiberglassics.com there are lots of catalogs.
I had a friend that drove his 16 ft MFG at about 30 mph over a rock shoal near Sandy Pond NY.
It only scratched the bottom but destroyed the 40 Johnson gear case.

pckeen

Commander
This site has a ton of advice on restorations - just go to the restorations thread page. You are in the right place!