How tough to move controls?

willp2

Seaman
The controls for the single outboard on my boat were installed in an odd spot, on top of the dash and sort of under the windshield. It?s very awkward to use and make fine adjustments and almost impossible to use sitting down. Besides being awkward its downright not safe in certain conditions.

I have room lower on the dash next to the helm and would like to move the controls. I have no idea how the controls work or what would be involved in moving them. Can anyone give me some insight into what might be involved? Sorry, but at this point I don?t even know what make the controls are.

Thanks,
-Will

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How tough to move controls?

If you could give the info about the motor, and what options the controls has that would help...

but speaking in generalities, most controls have cables that run to the motor (typically one for throttle, and one for putting it in gear). Besides the cables they have a wiring harness going back to the motor (for start/stop on the engine), and if it has PTT or is a newer engine, (with temp alarms, and things like it), it will have extra wiring going back for that as well.

If the dash has a Tach, then its likely the controls are wired into the dash as well.

As far as moving them, its not really that hard. the main thing is to keep track of the wiring (in case you need to lengthen/shorten), and most importantly, don't bend the cables sharply. This will cause the cable to bind/fail. If moving the controls down, makes the cable seem a bit long, check the loop at the back near the engine to see if you can make it bigger to take out the slack.

Also, you will obviously have old holes wherever you move the controls from, and depending on how it looks you may have to address that as well.

If you post a pic of your controls or give more specific motor info, we can probably tell you if there are any other quirks specific to your particular set.

hope that helps!

willp2

Seaman

Thanks for the quick reply. Its a 200HP Mercury XRi. The controls right now control throttle, shift and tilt/trim.

I'm fine with filling holes in the dash and the wiring is OK. The part that has be nervous is keeping the cables setup correctly, so I don?t have problems shifting and that sort of thing. I've just never seen the inside of one of these, so I don't understand how the cables attach and are adjusted.

Thanks,
-Will

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah you should be fine, the stuff I mentioned above applies...

You won't have to make any adjustments if you don't disconnect the actual cables from the controls... even then the adjustments should be at the motor end.

You're not changing the operation of them per se, just moving the whole assembly, so its just a matter of moving the unit, and adjusting the lay of the cables so you dont kink them up.

Good luck! :)

willp2

Seaman

Thanks a bunch. I think I'll try and rip the thing apart tomorrow. Boy it will be great to get this taken care of once and for all.

Good project to do while I wait for my hydraulic steering parts to get here. Broke my steering cable today so time for an upgrade!

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Will;

I have a picture in my mind that indicates you want to move the controls that are currently on top of your helm (console), with the cables coming up from underneath, to a lower location. Can you get under the helm?

The most common controls are by Teleflex, and can be disconnected at either the controller or at the engine. If you remove them from the engine, you will have to remove and reroute them. Removing them at the controller will only require them to be repositioned within the console. (This is all obvious, I know, sorry.)

To get an idea of what may be involved, remove the 4 screws from the base of the controller and gently raise the mechanism straight up. You should see 2 cables, probably red, that are attached to the controller fingers. Look at them and you will probably be able to figure out how they are connected.

Also check out the wires that are attached to the T&T buttons. The connector type will vary depending on if it's OEM, or "jerry rigged".

If you are not having to move them too far, and if you are not changing the adjustment of the inner cables, you probably wont have to readjust the controls after moving.

You will want to make sure there is room for the hole and the projecting fingers of the controller, before starting the project.

You can "google" Teleflex and see their line of controllers and the available parts. Be careful in disassembly as some of the parts are small and replacements can be hard to find.