15hp kill switch install questions

sqrlnts

Banned
I have a 1976 15hp johnson, its already equiped with a on/off switch but I want to install a lanyard kill switch. Will any old kill switch setup from ebay work or do I need something more specific? Also any tips for installing the switch would be handy.
Thanks in advance!

Rick.

Captain
Re: 15hp kill switch install questions

What have you got now? You said on/off switch and that brings to mind a toggle type of switch to me. If you have the factory, rubber button, switch it is already a kill switch. I've put lanyard kill switches on a 9.5 and 9.9 and it is a real simple procedure. The switch I used was made by Sea Dog and had two sets of contacts, normally open and normally closed. I snipped the wires close to the factory switch, removed it and installed the lanyard switch in the same hole. Can't remember but I think I re-used a washer that is part of the factory switch. GO for it you will find it to be an easy job. I purchased the Sea Dog switch at a marine store but in looking they were available at Toys R Us but only in the U.S., not in the Canadian stores. I made a few extra clips for emergencies with a dremel tool and wired them to the motor just in case I ever lost the lanyard. When not in sue I put the lanyard under the cowl for storage.
Best of luck. Rick.

sqrlnts

Banned

Rick,
Thanks. I currently just have the push/pull on off switch. Should be a pretty easy mod.

Rick.

Captain

I'm sure you won't have any problem if it's a sea dog as it fits right in the same hole as your push/pull. Rick.