engine wont start when launced in water

cormo

Recruit
helo, this is my first post so here it goes! i have recently bought a 40hp blueband engine it runs great when in a barrel of water at home starts first time and every time i bring it out to the water it will not go! it has to be scared of water or something? it seems to sit very low in the water and i was told when starting it in the water it might suck water through the exhaust if its to low in the water? any ideas? starts first pull when out of the water at home.

jake505

Seaman
Re: engine wont start when launced in water

I know that feeling it always seem to happen at the dock when there is a line of people waiting to put in:D. could be its sitting to low try putting some wieght up front to lift the back up a little maybe that will help. you could always try a little starting fluid to see if it will fire at all at the dock but dont use to much its not real good for 2 strokes

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

helo, this is my first post so here it goes! i have recently bought a 40hp blueband engine it runs great when in a barrel of water at home starts first time and every time i bring it out to the water it will not go! it has to be scared of water or something? it seems to sit very low in the water and i was told when starting it in the water it might suck water through the exhaust if its to low in the water? any ideas? starts first pull when out of the water at home.

A little confusing - you said you run it in the barrel at home then the last sentance, you said "out of the water at home". I'll assume you always start it in a barrel at home.

Sometimes engines that run on a hose at home have problems starting in the water because they can't handle the back pressure on the exhaust. In your case, my guess would be that at the water, the engine is deeper than in the barrel at home. This could cause higher back pressure (because of the depth of the water). Next time try putting the engine in the water just enough to cover the water intake, no more.

I once had a big engine that was very particular about that. If I backed it in to far it was a bear to start. If I paid attention and didn't go too deep, it started fine.

cormo

Recruit

thanks for the replies. i was thinking before the boat goes into the water get it started then launch it quickly? its the only thing we could think of cause as i said it sits very deep in the water or start it before it floats off the trailor?, we have been out 4 times to the peir and it refused to start and yes there was people around watching lol....:cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Those motors are very picky. NEVER use starting fluid on a 2 stroke.... you are asking for problems.

Look at the angle of the motor in relation to the crab while you are at home. Not examine that angle when you are at the ramp.

I had an inline 115 Merc that would act the same way until I learned that the motor had to be tilted ALL the way down when I first started it at the ramp. It has to do with the gas getting into the engine.

cormo

Recruit

ill have attempt number 5 next week ill start the engine when its on the ramp. i was thinking tho if the engine did run in the water when it was launched and i managed to go for a spin but it stalled because of human error, is it possible it wont start again in the water lol?? ill c how starting it before launching the boat goes.

coolguy147

Commander

i think there might be something more

id say check spark it may not have enough strength to push the water.

make sure u get spark on all cylinders