Merc 150hp EFI info needed please....

Bassgirl

Cadet
Hi all,
I have a chance to buy a 150hp EFI not sure of the year. Guy says it is a few years old.

I have a 2 stroke on my boat now and it is having starting ilde issues. Mechanic says the VRo is getting weak on it and that is causing the no start idle issues. And I am terrible with motors. So looking for something more reliable.

I was told the Merc is a 2 stroke but it is fuel injected which makes starting more reliable. Runs great but the computer is out on it. And needs to be replaced for about 800.00. Said it would run fine without the computer but that I would not have any alarms if something was wrong. And to count on needing to get the computer fixed as soon as possible.

Do they run better than a regular 2 stroke? Can I run it without the computer until I can get the money to get one?

MY other option is just to buy a 4 stroke kicker and stay with my old motor.

I would like to out right buy a bigger 4 stroke but that is not going to happen on my budget.

Thanks for any info.

Bassgirl

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 150hp EFI info needed please....

If you are starting to have fuel problems maybe the ethanol is destroying your fuel lines and all you need to do is replace the lines.Then clean the carbs and filters.Pull the filter off the fuel pump and check for rotten hose pieces.You will need to replace everything from the tank to the carbs.
You can get rid of the VRO and go to premix.J

Bassgirl

Cadet

If you are starting to have fuel problems maybe the ethanol is destroying your fuel lines and all you need to do is replace the lines.Then clean the carbs and filters.Pull the filter off the fuel pump and check for rotten hose pieces.You will need to replace everything from the tank to the carbs.
You can get rid of the VRO and go to premix.J

Thank you. We did have the carbs looked at and they are very clean. So I will look into the hoses. And I have read a little bit about taking the VRO off.
I will have to look into it again.

The other motor is a really good buy, IF everything I have been told about it is true. I just don't want to get into another 2 stroke headache. Wishing I had went for the 4 stroke kicker. Know what I mean?

j_martin

Admiral

A VRO either works or it doesn't. It can get out of adjustment, but usually would be rich.

When they fail, the motor seizes for lack of lube.

I would fire the failing mechanic, based on his comment. Per chance is he the source of the "new" motor?

my 02
John