Texas Maid Gets A Splash Run Soon

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Been awhile since I updated my Texas Maid resto thread. Painted the topsides bikini blue with Petit EasyPoxy paint back before Christmas. Found a 57 Johnson 35 hp RDE-19 this spring and been working on that since April...mechanical and cosmetic. Finished the Johnson cosmetics last week and this morning hauled it out of the shop and put it on the boat. After I got the motor mounted, shift/throttle cables attached and steering bar correct, I still had time to roll her out of the garage and take some pix. They are posted. Been working/waiting 2 yrs. to get a set of Big Twins on the transom...splash run scheduled for next week. Need the temp to drop a little and we'll run it out to the lake to tune the Johnson and test a fuel line setup for running both motors out of one tank. May get to take a video camera along...if so, I'll put something on Youtube. Thought you might like to see some eye candy.

Attachments

• TMportprofileLR.jpg
    TMportprofileLR.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1
  • TMStrbrdprofileLR.jpg
    TMStrbrdprofileLR.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
  • TMSternstrbrdLR.jpg
    TMSternstrbrdLR.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1
  • TMcockpitLR.jpg
    TMcockpitLR.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Texas Maid Gets A Splash Run Soon

TM she sure is purdy :D . Are you planning to run both outboards at the same time or just trying to decide which one you like better :D?

Rick

jcsercsa

Captain

yep TM she sure is looking good !! when is tha launch date ?? John

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Just want to see what she'll do with 70 hp on the transom...she's rated for 60 or 65 hp. Started out running two late 50's Johnson 18 hp's on her, cause I had them laying around the shop and I love a challenge. Worked okay...but one thing led to another (the E-rude Big Twin), then another (56 E-rude Lark 30 hp...still in the shop), and now this. If I can get my cuz to come over one day next week we'll put her in the water. I have long arms, but can't reach the motors to adjust carb needles when I'm steering (hah), so cuz will drive while I tune the Johnson. Then it will be fun and games for awhile with the video camera and then some fishing.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't wait to hear about the results of the splash test. If she runs half as good as she looks, you'll have one hot little ride :D

Can you post some info on how you got the twins lookin' so sharp? I'm about to start the cosmetic work on my old '59 E-rude Lark and I could use some pointers.

Thanks,
JTB

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Splash run is set for Wednesday...unless we get stormed out.
A good paint job...for a working or show motor is all in the prep.
Should be the last step after you have the mechanicals in order...tune up, etc. My process below is for outboards with aluminum cowls...never done a cosmetic on a fiberglass cowl, but process should be similar.
1.) Clean and degrease it.
2.) If the old top coat paint is sound, you can rough it up with fine steel wool. If the old paint is toast and it's down to primer in spots, might as well start fresh. Use plain old nasty spray-on oven cleaner to take it down to factory primer, follow label/safety directions. Then sand it lightly and rinse.
Work in a comfortable environment with clean rags when sanding and dusting/cleaning. Anything that gets on it now, body oil, perspiration, etc. will cause the paint to fail...when it happens, clean it with soap and water.
3.) Prime it with self-etching, zinc chromate-phosphate primer.
4.) Follow with the color-coat of your choice, then clearcoat. Stick with one brand of primer, color and clear-coat...the paint chemistry must be the same/compatible. If doing decals, apply one light coat of clear-coat and let it dry/cure for a day, then do your decals and let them dry overnight, then add more coats of clear-coat.
5.) Let it cure for 2-3 days in a hot, dry environment...I use my garage or shop. Dust it off and apply a coat or two of wax.
Note: Temperature and humidity are important. Follow the application guide/directions from the paint manufacturer. I live at 3,500 feet altitude and very dry/arid climate. I only paint when it's above 65 degrees with less than 60% humidity. Wear safety glasses and a mask and apply in sweeps, applying paint in short bursts. You may have to practice on some scrap until you get this down pat. Stay 8 to 10 inches from whatever surface your painting.
6.) If you have to do several colors on a cowl, prime it and then completely coat it with the dominant color (probably white)...let it dry for a day, then mask it off and paint the next color...repeat as necessary depending on how many colors involved.
It takes me week or two to do a repaint following these steps, depending on the weather. I use Duplicolor auto paints in a rattle can because mine are working motors and I want to be able to touch up the scratches they get while in use. Here's some pix of the Johnson RD-19 that I just finished and put on the transom...took me about two weeks from start to finish on the cosmetics, working whenever the weather allowed...in between honey-dos and other chores (tree trimming, etc.)
Final tip: Never get in a hurry, don't rush it. If you move too fast, you'll wind up doing it over again. Choose your work days, and work at a relaxed pace.

Attachments

• LprofileLR.jpg
    LprofileLR.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • RprofileLR.jpg
    RprofileLR.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • TopfrontrightLR.jpg
    TopfrontrightLR.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow that looks sharp TM, great paint job{s}...best to ya on your splashing~

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks TM! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the detailed instruction. I think a man should know his limitations, and I can tell you, unequivocally, that painting is definitely one of my limitations.

This is a great introduction, but I'm sure I will bug you for more advice as I start dressing her up.

JTB

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Update from the splash run: Gotta late start due to Cuz showing up late, didn't get to the lake til after noon. While waiting for Cuz, I played with the video camera...shot some short footage of the TM in the driveway, ran the batteries down and went for new ones. Teenager hijacked the camera while I was gone. Get to the lake and the fenders on a rope setup I rigged up earlier worked like a charm keeping her off the dock. The Evinrude acted up...ran great at speed in N, but would bog and die in gear. Too hot to mess with link-n-synch, so we concentrated on the Johnson RDE-19 Big Twin, and got it tuned well at speed...then noticed the clutch dog making noise. So...it's back to the shop/barrel for the E-rude Big Twin and a new clutch dog for the Johnson...in coming months. Didn't get to try running both out of one gas tank/line with a T in it. Couldn't get the boat trimmed right either. With two Big Twins, 15 gallons of fuel and the battery in the stern...she is stern heavy. Rode and trimmed/planed much nicer with 9 gallons of gas in two tanks, one Big Twin and one smaller Johnson FD-11 18 hp outboard. All in all, a successful day though...excepts no vids to show highlights. If I keep two Big Twins on the transom, I'm gonna have to move the gas tank(s) forward somehow to help put the bow down...there's room under the bowskirt. Also got to perch in the shade with cold, tasty beverages for awhile and catch up with Cuz on life in general...something we don't get to do very often nowadays.

jcsercsa

Captain

Too cool Tm !!! glad you had a good day !! wish you could have gotton both riunning good thoe !!!! cant wait to see her in action !! John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

TM I'm not sure what your interior config is like but here's what I got under my closed bow:
DSCF1927.jpg

12 gallon tank held in place with cooler mounting brackets. Works great.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I felt like I was a little stern heavy, too, with all the fuel, the 100lb+ '59 Lark and my old man (about 225lbs.) all in the back of the boat. So, to remedy this, I put a six gallon tank under the closed bow storage area to help distribute some weight. I then ran fuel lines from the tank in the stern and the tank in the bow to a three way valve I installed on the dash. Coming off the valve I put in a primer bulb which is just under the dash, out of sight, but easily accessible, so that I can switch tanks from the helm and never have to run to the back of the boat. I tested it over the weekend, and it worked great. The only drawback is it takes quite a bit of pumping on the primer bulb if you let the tank run completely out of gas. But really, not too big a deal. Also, if you run the front tank first, you will need someone to open the vent on the tank in the stern. Simple solution is to run the stern tank first.

Congrats on getting the old girl in the water. Sorry to hear about the clutch dog on the Johnson. Sounds like, all in all, it was still a pretty good day.

JTB

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

My dash looks a little different, but I can put the 6 or 9 gallon tank in front of the pilot/passenger's feet with a tie-down of some kind. Ran both motors at home today and worked out a carb linkage kink on the E-rude Big Twin...got the bog out of throttling up. Now it's time to find an RD19E clutch dog...went through the same drill with the Big Twin.

Attachments

• TMaiddashLR.jpg
    TMaiddashLR.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Thanks. So now I have three projects for this fall: replace the clutch dog in the Johnson, do another splash run with gas tanks mounted forward, and get a newly-acquired 64 E-Rude Sporfour 60 hp tuned up. Time to watch here and there for another TM.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's always something to do on these old tinny's.

If you're looking for a TM, here are a couple down in your neck of the woods The first one is mistakenly listed as a Lone Star, but it's actually a TM Osprey or Falcon.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/1332610458.html

This one looks like it needs about a '64 model Evinrude Sportfour 60 hp ;)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/1320073235.html

I don't know much about the Sportfour, but I have a 1964 Johnson 9 1/2 hp Sea-Horse that has been a great little motor for me. Good luck with getting it tuned up. Post a couple of pics when you get a chance.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Interesting, but too pricey for both by about 3X I imagine. I was off down Austin way getting the Sportfour. Passed over the green/brown line south of Goldthwaite...everything of there is dead/brown, everything north is looking nice and green like it should in summer. Got the Sportfour bolted to the engine rack this morning...has spark, compression, good LU lube, and starter turns the motor over...even growled when I put some pre-mix in the carbs. I'll try to get some pix as I go along with it...next step is a barrel run.