1989 85 Force Losing Prime

thimsllib

Seaman
My Force won't keep it's prime. I need to inject fuel directly into the cylinders to get it started. Once it's started it idles okay(I have other issues I'm working through but that's another story), but when I try to start it after a day or so, I need to re-inject the cylinders with fuel. I put in new plugs and checked the fuel pump diaphragm and it is intact. I am going to be removing the carbs and cleaning them as well as checking the reed valves and the check valves in the fuel pump. Has anyone ever had a Force that won't hold it's prime? Any other tips you could give me? Thanks.

john from md

Commander
Re: 1989 85 Force Losing Prime

How are you starting it? Do you use fast idle and choke? What speed does fast idle give you? Have you adjusted your choke plates at all?

John

thimsllib

Seaman

I've tried to start it with fast idle and choke, no choke, no throttle etc... the only way it starts is with fuel added to the cylinder. I'm thinking the nozzles and or reed valves are all mucked up. Do you have any other ideas what it could be?

john from md

Commander

If it is hard starting, it could be reed valves but they are rarely damaged. Most of the time it has to do with choke adjustment, timing adjustment, starter drag and technique.

Have you ever adjusted your choke plates? If not, they are about due.

How about your timing, today's fuels need 30 deg BTDC not the 32 or 34 degreees they were set to years ago.

Is your starter spinning fast enough, battery charged?

As far as "loosing prime", the carb float bowls have fuel in them from the fuel pump and there is no priming system on this engine. As long as the starter spins fast enough, fuel will be sucked out of the carbs.

I suspect that your jets are fine as it is running for you. Your only problem is hard starting.

Let me know what your timing is set at.

John

thimsllib

Seaman

Thanks John. I didn't think about the timing. That's a little advanced for me, but I have a mechanic friend who can check that out for me. I'm still going to pull off the carbs and clean them as I'm sure it's been awhile (I bought this boat/motor in June). I'm also going to use seafom to decarb the motor as I'm sure it's time for that too. Probably won't get to it for a couple of days. Thanks for your help. I'll post my results... and be back with many other questions, I'm sure. Thanks again.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try replacing the bulb on the hose from your fuel tank to the engine. It may be defective, I had them go and thought it was other things also, they are around $10

thimsllib

Seaman

Sorry John... forgot to answer your other questions. Yes, I adjusted the choke and the battery is fully charged. Starter is spinning fine. Thanks.