Interesting outing last night

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So my son, wife and I go fishing on the boat last night at nearby lake. Weather was perfect with temps in the 70s and little wind. There were a couple of other boats we could see, one towing a tube and the other a skiier. The kids on the tube were sure having fun!

My wife just wanted to sit and relax while son and I fished. Lots of good conversation. We trolled around for about an hour when we noticed a lot of activity at the ramp. As we came closer we could see it was our local fire department doing a recovery drill with a group of them in the water arm-in-arm moving slowly through the water near the shore. There was also a fire department rescue boat in the water, and they were doing drills as well.

As we neared the fishing dock, my son caught a small northern, and shortly thereafter caught a nice walleye. We made one more pass along that particular shoreline, then decided to call it a night as it was getting pretty dark.

I backed the trailer in and, as my son was making his approach in the boat, we could hear radios blaring with a fire call. Wow, can those firefighters move fast! One of the three fire trucks at the scene was gone in a heartbeat, another about 2 minutes later. There are four fire stations in our city of 65,000, so I figured there was enough reserve coverage provided by the other stations. Nevertheless, I moved our truck/trailer with loaded boat out of the way quickly so they could get their trailer in to fetch their boat. We skipped putting the travel cover on and headed for home lickety split.

The last fire truck passed us with lights and siren about two minutes later. We watched as it turned onto a major road and my son noticed a large cloud of black smoke in the sky in that direction.

My wife works at a church in our community. Turns out the fire was at the home of one of the pastors. No reports of injuries, but the house was three quarters destroyed.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Interesting outing last night

Yep, when the call goes out "fire showing" it is amazing how quickly a fireman or firewoman can move! Our ***'t Chief lives across the road from me and it is always a race to see who gets on the road first! I think the neighbors take bets ... our pagers kick about 30 seconds before the siren, so neighbors will joke that when Gary and Art drive by, the siren will be heard in about 20 seconds! :D

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A few more details...

The pastor is basically retired working just part-time doing hospital visits and the like. Yesterday he noticed his BMW was acting up, so he took it in to have it looked at. No problems found. He and his wife went out last night and upon returning noticed a smell from the car. Opened hood, found nothing. Went into the house and then... the car exploded.

All was lost. They escaped with just the clothes on their backs.

aspeck

Staff member

Thankfully they were not hurt and it waited to go boom until they had exited the garage! Hopefully they have good insurance that will replace the "stuff." It is a tramatic experience to loose everything you have worked for ... to see it go up in smoke. Prayers and support are what they need most at this time - just because he is a pastor doesn't mean he doesn't need a shoulder to lean on and cry on.