Mercruiser 233 to GM

fishseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a chance at a 233 setup for my project dirt cheap. Can this be changed form a ford to GM with bellhousing coupler change. Not to excited with ford power! Thanks John

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser 233 to GM

Just send me that 233 and I'll take it off your hands and replace my 188.

Ona serious note, at a minimum, you would need bellhousing, coupler, move motor mounts, y pipe. I believe the mount ears on the transom plate that bolt to the bellhousing are narrower than later Chevy bellhousings as well. I think teh chevy used that pattern in 77-78, but then changed to a wider pattern, so you may need a new inner transom plate to match your bellhousing.

Bondo

Staff member

Have a chance at a 233 setup for my project dirt cheap. Can this be changed form a ford to GM with bellhousing coupler change. Not to excited with ford power!

Ayuh,... Keep Looking,... It Won't be dirt cheap by the time you switch it to Chevy...

fishseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Bondo, I'll keep looking. Got time,just getting started on transom.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Bondo, I'll keep looking. Got time,just getting started on transom.

Ayuh,... My thought on what you're lookin' for,... Mid/ Late-80s,... 85, 86, 87, Alpha 1, 260hp....

The Alpha 1s are the Most adaptable, for the Largest Used Parts selections... That means Cheaper to Fix...
The Alpha 1s have Better transom assembley's, especially Hyd. Trim wise...
The Earliest versions of the Alpha 1s are also the Most Greaseable transom assembley's...
Greased Greaseables don't wear out...

Those Vintage also are using the T-Bolt IV igntion,.....That's a Big Plus...

The only downfall of that package is they were still using the Rottenchester Carbs back then,...
Updating to the Weber/ Edlebrock can Fix that though...

Good Luck,....

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Some people just don't understand the poor Q-jet. It makes a great marine carb. The Weber/Carter AFB is cheaper and a lot lighter(aluminum)

Personally, I have the spreadbore holley. It has the small primaries of the Q-jet(economy) with a true vacuum secondary.

IMO, The 351(W) is a superior marine engine compared to the chev 350. It's just more expensive to rebuild.

fishseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the good advise Bondo! Kinda hopen to find a alpha setup. I happen to have a 350 vortec setting the garage. Kept the core when I replaced the motor in my Yukon. Planning on making a 383 stroker for a Suburban puller but ya never know!!LOL