Capri 1950 noise when turning ?

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
I posted on the Volvo forum about this low pitched vibration noise when turning either direction. This is on a AQ125a/270 drive. The ujoints were checked by a good mechanic last summer and were good. Anyone else have this problem or suggestions of how to start diagnosing it?

Joe

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Capri 1950 noise when turning ?

I hate to question your mechanic, but what kind of 'good' mechanic says the ujoints aren't the problem, but you must figure out what is by yourself?

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

The mechanics at that marina are Volvo certified mechanics and the place has a very good reputation. Last summer I had them change out the boots on that drive and give it an overall inspection. He told me that the ujoints were in good condition as i asked him specifically about that realizing the age of the boat and questionable service done by the previous owner. This noise only developed this season and I have only had time to use the boat maybe 5 times since the mechanic changed the boot. Otherwise it is stored on land.

If it is something I can diagnose and fix myself I will do that, but otherwise it means another trip to this mechanic who is 2 hrs drive from my town, so it is a major time investment just to get it to him. Nobody else locally will touch these old Volvo engines and drives around here!

Joe

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Capri 1950 noise when turning ? UPDATE

Re: Capri 1950 noise when turning ? UPDATE

Long story short-
mechanic examined the drive and found that while the ujoints are OK the crosses were shot so those were replaced.

However, while running it this weekend the noise is still present when turning! There is another bearing under the red housing that is between the engine and the transom the bell housing I believe. I am thinking now that is where this noise is coming from.

Anyone have any experience with this part?

Joe

express 1

Recruit

if the noise only happens when the drive is turned all the way over (either way) it usually is the gimbal bearing.nothing to do with u joints.should be grease fitting out side on transom plate.when drive is removed for winter gimbal should be seen. should also turn freely.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

What ended up being the issue?