Gear ratios? replacing Sterndrive

duster22

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, I have a 1983 140 3.0 merc with a alpha one gen 1 drive. What i am wondering is how to find the gear ratio? i broke the skeg and the prop and when i turn the prop it wiggles a bit. So i decided its the end of the season ill just put a used one in. I found a 1.83 ratio i was wondering if that would work? Any input would help alot.
Thanks,
Ryan

ps. The steps i should do and tips i should look out for to change the whole unit would be great. thanks again

brisboats

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gear ratios? replacing Sterndrive

Your ratio should be 1:98:1 with a 3.0. You can pull the top cover and count the teeth on the gear set. I think you found a 1:84:1 typically the gear ratio of the 470 series. That may work for you with a lower pitch propeller. Ideally you want the 1:98:1.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Prop shaft on alpha's move in and out a bit but shouldn't wiggle side to side. If it does, check the drive oil for water contamination.

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

Could ripping the prop (aluminum) really bad bent the shaft? ill put some pictures up soon and possible a video of the wiggle.

And i will check the oil. And would putting on the 1.84 affect my performance. im kinda new i dont know how the ratios work or anything at all.

thanks ryan

Bondo

Staff member

And would putting on the 1.84 affect my performance. im kinda new i dont know how the ratios work or anything at all.

Ayuh,... The boat will be a Dog that don't wanta Run with Anything but the 1.98:1 ratio....

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

okay thanks ill get the pictures and video by the end of the day. maybe you guys can tell me if its fixable. i also have insurance. but dont want the deductable

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The shaft looks bent, the OEM service manual will show you how to check it and find out how much.
Doesn't really sound good either. Have you checked the gear lube (aka changed it)
Forget the 1.84, Won't work and you will hate it. They have different gear ratios for a reason.

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

the gear oil was changed less then 20 hours of use. Could i have damaged gears? any test i can do for that?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the gear oil was changed less then 20 hours of use. Could i have damaged gears? any test i can do for that?

Could care less what the gear lube looked like 20 hours ago, the question is, what does it look like NOW!!!!

Sure you could damage gears, It happens all the times when props get mangled like that.

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

sorry i dont know what i was thinking. i just took a sample out and it looks fine its green. what colour would it be if there was water in there? i figure i should take it all out to really know.

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

there is fine bronze and milky streams in the oil. So i replacing it is a must. Im looking at a 1.94 for 1200

What do you guys think?
Would this work?
My dad's the one who is going to put it in. I am only 17. Is there any tips or things to look out for when removing and replacing sterndrive?
Thanks, Ryan

Bondo

Staff member

there is fine bronze and milky streams in the oil. So i replacing it is a must. Im looking at a 1.94 for 1200$ brand new

What do you guys think?
Would this work?

My dad's the one who is going to put it in. I am only 17. Is there any tips or things to look out for when removing and replacing sterndrive?
Thanks, Ryan

Ayuh,....

Don't you think you might want to Help support this forum you're doing all your Learning at,..??..??

You probably otta delete that link to a Competitor's website.... The Mod.'s will when they find it,..
iboats lists the Same outdrive for $5.00 Less....
Yes,... It's the 1 that fits Your Boat...

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

whats the chances of both upper and lower gears get stripped?

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

okay i think my upper is okay but just to make sure ill need to take the top part off. Does anyone know where to find the tool for that? i cant seem to find it on i boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Does anyone know where to find the tool for that?

It's a 3/8" or 7/16" 12 point socket.... Nothin' Special....

hande

Cadet

Thanks for the great info posted here. My question is along the same line as Duster22. I have A 1984 470 with what must be the m/r/alpha 1. The drive was run without lube and the the top set of gears are grinding and done for. The bottom just needs cleaned. I 've been looking at several top sections on Ebay but most of them just tell what kind of boat engine they came off of. I assume as long as it is a alpha gen 1 it will match up with my boat and the bottom section. But unless someone lists a 470 how would I know which one will be a good match as far as gear ratios.

Thanks for any help