problems- erratic RPMs

TxHorns

Seaman
I just took out my new boat, and had an issue with the motors which had previously run great. They are 1992 Johnson 140s, and both have had new powerheads within the past 3 years.

When I'd get above idle speed (seems like good cruising speed is 4000 rpms, sound right), one of the motors would start jumping around RPM's and wouldn't hold rpms at all. For example, it would jump up to 3500 and then back to 4500, etc. the other motor would doing it too for, but stopped after awhile. When I first statred going I was playing with the trim, so thought that was the cuase, but later realized it was happening when I left it alone.

Any ideas? Thanks.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: problems- erratic RPMs

Sure it isn't just the Tach doing the jumping?

Bifflefan

Commander

could be lean condition. they will hunt around when they dont get enough gas. check the lines filters and so on. Look at the plugs to see if they are all good and clean.

TxHorns

Seaman

Yeah, definitely not the tach. I replaced the plugs and fuel filter, need to get new spark plug wires still. I haven't taken it back out, but the plugs looked to be in fine shape before I changed them, wires was tough to tell.

The fact that it was going on in both engines, whereas prior to today they had both run great makes me wonder what it could be. But then again, it was much worse in one engine.

I'm about halfway through a 160 gallon tank, and not sure how old the gas is- could this be the cause? It would explain why both were having trouble, but maybe one just handled it a little better.

Thanks again for the input/suggestions.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Have you checked the fuel for water? Do you have a water seperating filter installed?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep...old varnishy gas could cause that to happen. I wouldn't run anything if I didn't know/confirm the condition/age of the gas...that can get real expensive.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Yep...old varnishy gas could cause that to happen. I wouldn't run anything if I didn't know/confirm the condition/age of the gas...that can get real expensive.

when was last decarb or carb rebuiild done??? follow the link bellow